Please help, not sure what to do.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Please help, not sure what to do.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 3 months ago.

• Author

Silverfang100
    Participant

Just gonna jump straight into this. I’m 19, currently studying at university. I am almost certain I have ADHD and have been referred to my local NHS mental health unit for a diagnosis (living in the UK). Trouble is, they won’t tell me how long the waiting list is, and I suspect that’s because it’s a very long time. I can’t afford to keep living my life as I am now; I’ll end up failing my course at this rate. I can barely work day to day and my thoughts never stop rushing.

I have considered going private in order to speed up the diagnosis process, but the obvious issue is that I’m a student and I can barely afford a cinema trip, let alone a private diagnosis.

This is making me depressed, as I’m actively failing at life while waiting for this damn diagnosis. People always talk about what happens once you get your diagnosis but I’ve found relatively little about the torture of having to cope with the condition while waiting possibly years to get it properly treated. I’m at my wit’s end here. I have started going to therapy in an attempt to stop myself getting TOO depressed about this, but all I can think is how easy it is for a doctor to prescribe a box of tablets to make all this stop, and how hard it is to get the doctor to do that.

Please, any advice or consolation is much appreciated. I feel alone in this (my parents aren’t willing to believe I have anything ‘wrong’ with me, so I’m sticking this one alone) and don’t know what to do. Waiting is torture and I can’t financially afford anything else. Thanks for your time/responses.

– Silver

Louise99
    Participant

Hello,
    I had the exact same problem, I was about 19 when I needed a diagnoses and the NHS took so long. The hospital they sent me to was hours away and the whole experience was horrible. The doctor made me feel incredibly uncomfortable and actually made me cry! Rather than finishing the appointment I had to leave as I was in such a state. This may have been a personal thing but I really just felt like the ‘vibe’ was off. I went private, it was quick and reliable. Yes, it is expensive but my doctor made a huge effort to minimise the amount of sessions to reduce cost. I stick to private now but obviously it is expensive. But my therapist does say that it is possible to get the prescriptions on the NHS after going private.
    I would give it a few months with the NHS, obviously there mental heath department is terrible but it is worth it if you manage to get it all for free. If you really cannot cope then go private, explain you are a student and money is limited and I am sure they will be kind.
    In regards to your parents, just tell them that you really need help. Luckily my mum understood but I have had many people doubt me. At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for yourself.
    Hope this helps.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Does your university have a disability services office and/or a counseling office? If so, seek their assistance in the mean time to try to avoid failing classes.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.