Physical activity causing hyperactivity

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Physical activity causing hyperactivity

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  phantasm 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

shellitull
    Participant

My son is 6 and was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 4. Because he’s such an active child, we’ve always encouraged physical activity and since his diagnosis, we make sure he has time in the day to burn off energy. He will play outside for hours sometimes riding bikes, jumping on the trampoline, running around with his friends and never seems to get tired. Lately I’ve noticed that when he transitions from physical activity he seems to have more energy and it’s difficult to calm him down. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any suggestions on how to make the transition?

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Sounds like he’s very excitable. Occupational therapy can help with the sensory issues, hyperactivity and learning to calm and regulate.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
    Participant

I push proactive exercise to help kids with concentration.

One of the things that I find with adults, is that when I tell them how much and how intense the activity needs to be, they think that I am exaggerating.

They really do need a ridiculous amount of activity.

It doesn’t make them more hyperactive, but if they are still extremely bottled up… a small burst isn’t going to do the trick, it is only going to get them revved up and ready to go more.

It just has to be scheduled and regularly done to the point where it works.
    If anything, increase the intensity, even if one the weekends, where it is beyond casual play and is a real workout.
    Instead of ride arounds with friends, set-up races.

jhasselt
    Participant

Just curious if there are activities that calm him? Maybe after intense activity an activity like stretching, yoga pose, puzzles or something would help?

mitzimainer
    Participant

Something to consider is his diet. Exercise is great for regulating dopamine levels, and food is good for addressing serotonin levels, specifically fat. Our brains are 60% fat. I switched to a high fat/low carb diet 20 months ago and noticed an even deeper calmness to my brain. Making sure your child is eating plenty of fat with meals/snacks should definitely help regulate serotonin levels and increase calmness. You may also want to consider skipping wheat/grains as they act just like sugar in the body. Please check out “Wheat Belly” and “Unlearn-Rethink” Facebook pages they are loaded with helpful information. Taking excellent care of our brains is vital for good mental health.

Good Luck

Mitzi

phantasm
    Participant

hello, how is your son now? is he still a hyperactive child?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.