Partner using alcohol to self medicate

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Partner using alcohol to self medicate

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Halemanu 2 days, 11 hours ago.

• Author

jane84
    Participant

Hi all,
    My 43 year old partner has recently been diagnosed with adhd and possible autism spectrum disorder. We’ve been together 5 years and we generally manage quite well but in certain social stituation he tends to drink too much and at a certain point he just looses the ability to see that he is far more drunk than everyone in the room, yet it’s impossible to communicate this to him at the time. If I do try to point out he needs to slow down or stop he becomes annoyed and genuinely confused as to why I’m concerned.

Now I understand more about how alcohol affects adhd I can understand why he wants to drink to dull his symptoms. I also understand how the alcohol lowers his already low impulse control, but some of these situations are so upsetting and embarrassing and even though we’ve had frank conversations when he’s sober the situations keep happening. Yesterday he used really offensive curse words at a lunch with my family and younger sister. I was so mortified but my being upset seemed to make him worse and drink more. While he is drunk he makes rash statements like we should break up, sell our house etc if I cant accept him. I’m trying so hard to support him and understand his condition. I love him and we have a good life.He feels he is being victimised in the moment Yet I know today when he wakes up he will be full of self loathing.

Just to be clear he does not drink everyday and it’s not every social situation it happens, but it’s happened enough it makes me so anxious before an event that he will get out of hand.

Has anyone else experienced this, he’s not medicated, would that help? I wondered about couples therapy? I don’t want this to be the thing that ends our relationship.

pepelepew
    Participant

Hi jane84,

Sorry you’re about your anxiety. I was involved with someone who’s the same. I do not know if he’s medicated at the moment, I know he was when he was younger. I did not read much about ADD until after we stopped talking. Our interactions weren’t as deeply involved so I’m not the best person to give an opinion but I’m wondering if you have resources you can share about alcohol and adhd…. thanks!

Halemanu
      Participant

I do the exact same things, although I have not been diagnosed with ADHD but am diagnosed as bipolar with anxiety, my son’s doctor thinks I may actually be ADHD. If you find an answer to your problem, please, please post. I often feel awful the next day after something like this happens and have even called friends to apologize, till finally they have stopped asking me to go out with them.

phantasm
    Participant

If you think couple therapy can save your relationship then go for it, it is also available online for convenience…
    salute to all the women who’s patience and love beyond measure.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Accepting his condition(s) and getting treatment always helps.

ADHD Treatment: Medication, Diet, Therapy & More Options

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

BrentLuken
    Participant

Just always help him to get back on his feet. Just always encourage him stop drinking because it won’t help him.

AdeleS546
    Participant

I’m afraid I don’t have any good advice for you. Mine self-medicates with Marijuana.

he often uses it for back pain but most of the time it’s because he wants to destress and he likes being stoned. His doctor told him he shouldn’t be smoking anymore because he had a heart attack but he’s not listening. All I can do is be there for him, and hope he doesn’t have any more problems with his heart

• This reply was modified 2 days, 15 hours ago by  AdeleS546.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.