Parents or Pediatrician?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      AiRen33
      Participant

Hello! I won’t give you the schpeal (sorry I can’t spell AT ALL), I’ve done the research, I think I may have ADHD, you’ve heard it before (I am not at all trying to disregard ADHD or its impact on those who have it, I’m just guessing you have heard why people think they may have ADHD before)

Annnnnnyyyyy way. I have tried to mention my symptoms and struggles to my parents outside the context of ADHD, but my parents don’t take it seriously at all. They say it’s because I’m lazy, or just flat-out tell me I’m wrong. I have been wondering if I should talk to my pediatrician, and see if she can help me talk to my parents. Is that a good idea? I know my parents will be accepting (I came out to them as non-binary and they were totally chill and suportive about it) if it turns out that I do have it, but since a lot of my friends have ADHD, my mom (most likely) thinks that I want either to be like them or to be special. I don’t think they know that much about ADHD, and normally I would try to educate them, but my mom is highly stressed (due to running a struggling business in a time of financial crisis) and almost always working, and I believe that they don’t know enough that if I tried to talk to them they would A. Realize I may think I have ADHD B. Be annoyed that I think they don’t know it (as adults love to do)

I think that I would be more comfortable talking to my pediatrician because I A. I could talk to her via email and B. She is a professional and my parents would listen to her better.

Should I only go to my pediatrician if my parents flat-out say no to getting assessed or is it okay to go to her now if I am more comfortable with it? If I do go to her, what should I say as she doesn’t know me as well?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You should absolutely talk to your pediatrician about your concerns and the possibility of ADHD. You’re right that he or she can mediate a conversation with your parents if they think ADHD is a possibility as well.

There’s so much misinformation about ADHD that even the most loving and open parents may miss something like ADHD because they just don’t know enough about it.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.