panic attacks???

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults panic attacks???

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      leah22
      Participant

Hi, I’m a teenage girl diagnosed and medicated for ADHD and depression. I’ve been experiencing what I think are panic attacks. All of the sudden, I can hear every little noise and see every detail. I can’t catch my breath and I feel like I’m going to fall over and I start crying. I can hear what people are saying to me, but I’m so detached that I can’t process their sentences. It’s pretty scary and I stay really nervous for the rest of the day. A friend pointed out that this could be related in some way sensory overload. If anyone has any insight or advice I’d really appreciate it!

mrbreezeet1
      Participant

No, I get a lot of anxiety myself, not quite as bad as your’s sounds.
      You might have to see a doctor if it keeps up. Sorry I can’t be of more help.
      I hope you feel better soon though.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Panic attacks can be sparked by a variety of things. Could definitely start from sensory overwhelm. Here’s how someone else describes panic attacks:

“What an Anxiety Attack Really Feels Like”

I found a video by Mel Robbins very enlightening. She describes how it’s your brain assuming there’s an emergency when there’s no evidence to the contrary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHGYTP5HsE&t=2s

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

AnnaMari
      Participant

Hello! I’m currently 25, with ADD and Depression- and I ran into kind of what you are describing a few years ago when I was still working with balancing my medication. I found that too high an ADD dose and too low a depression-medication dose made me feel that way. I needed something for my ADD to get through classwork- but if I didn’t have my fluoxetine (or early on, too low of a dose) that the anxiety got BAD. I’d leave my art classes during work-time to walk a lap around the building just to try to calm down a bit. So, for me, the anxiety and overwhelming noise in my head went away when we raised the dose for my depression medication. With that I felt much less sad, more happy and more calm.

Remember that ADHD medication is a stimulant, and for anxiety- people usually take something that is not a stimulant. (Like self-medicating with alcohol to calm down, because alcohol is a depressant. – which I do not condone doing!!)

So talk to your doctor, and consider acting on your Depression more if you’re still feeling sad and overwhelmed. But you’ll have to work out what is right for you!

Sage
      Participant

Hey, leah22

I’m also a teen with ADHD (with a female body) and I completely understand this. My panic attacks often happen like this, and it is most likely sensory overload, as other replies have said. Sometimes, mine get so bad that I just completely shut down. I drop where I stand (if I’m standing), and I don’t respond. I can’t respond. The only way you know I’m alive is because I’m blinking, my eyes are moving, and I’m breathing. It’s almost like sleep paralysis. But I do believe your panic attacks are caused by sensory overload. All I know to do is breathe, and try to organize your thoughts. Close your eyes and cover your ears, or escape to a place with no people or noise, like the bathroom. Sorry if this wasn’t of much help, but I hope it’s something, at least.

I hope it gets better
      ~Sage

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.