Overwhelmed that I may actually…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Overwhelmed that I may actually…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kathi47 3 months ago.

• Author

momagmom
    Participant

Have auditory processing issue/ADD my whole life…but only finding out at 45?!???
    To top it off, I’m a very successful elementary teacher who has multiple student every year with this diagnosis…”ironically” placed in my room because I run a quite and orderly classroom…can’t stand noise and confusion😉 Here is my issue…why am I feeling embarrassed and ashamed? I can’t bring myself to tell anyone but my husband…so much of my life and unresolved medical issues are making sense now…but I feel embarrassed..please tell me this is a normal part of the process??? Am I in “shock”?

Boogie
    Participant

I’m a teacher too (retired now). I was diagnosed aged 50. I was well known for being able to deal with the ‘difficult’ pupils – I’m sure because I saw something of myself in them and was able to meet their needs better. I also kept a quiet, very orderly classroom. I was known as ‘Mrs Organised’ – overcompensating for my real self, which came out at home in a big way. Work order, home chaos!

I didn’t tell anyone at work either, but I did slowly educate those who were willing to listen.

🙂

momagmom
      Participant

Thank you so much! I am certainly replaying so many interactions I’ve had with children who I know have this processing disorder…I bet I will never, ever use comments about “not listening” again…guilt is another emotion I’m feeling…dispite being a good teacher…we always feel like we could have and should do things better! Again, I so appreciate that you took the time to reply.

liasamturn
    Participant

Definitely normal! I used to teach (there’s a pattern, here..😝) and that was also the thing that made seek a diagnosis -you’re automatically tuned into recognising how to help your kids succeed, so it’s only a matter of time before you see remarkable coincidences that you’re always given the kids no one else knows what to do with and look at why your superiors cite your ‘intuition’!

It’s a good thing. I felt embarrassed at first because I was helping kids with similar diagnoses for YEARS before I saw it in myself… I never told my superiors because I figured I was already behaving that way anyhow, and this remarkable revelation was only remarkable to myself. I did get made redundant this year, though, so perhaps telling them would be better….you sound more than competent – you could use it to your advantage!

Lots of luck to you

momagmom
      Participant

I’m leaning towards not telling anyone at work…I’m concerned their opinions of me or perceptions would change…right now I believe it’s all positive since I just got promoted to dept chair…I say that not to boost…simply to explain that I don’t want others to see me as lacking anything. Your comment on “intuition” HAS to be true!! I often alter materials or lessonsto to help students in a manner other teachers don’t…it just seems “obvious” to me…but maybe I truly understand how my students with IEPS think because it is how I process too. Fascinating and scary all at the same time. Thank you for reaching out to help a fellow educator! Much appreciated.

latediag37
    Participant

momagmom,

Being unsure of other people’s reactions to your diagnosis is perfectly normal. Your diagnosis it isn’t anyone’s business but yours. You shouldn’t feel bad for keeping it to yourself any more than you would a diagnosis of flat feet, or tennis elbow. You are doing your job, and it sounds like, pretty well. So there really isn’t any reason you’d need to say anything.

I wouldn’t keep it from people because your embarrassed though, it isn’t something you had any control over and nothing to be ashamed of. By the way, before being diagnosed most of us just think that “this is just the way we are.” Most people don’t get diagnosed until something is going wrong that sends them to a professional. Since you’ve been handling life so well, it sounds like you’ve never gotten that far. You should feel really good about that!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

You feelings are completely normal. It’s often very emotional to get an ADHD diagnosis as an adult. The key is to acknowledge your feelings, work through them, and move past them to acceptance and a more positive outlook.

I Have ADHD. Now What?

Silence Your Harshest Critic — Yourself

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jenifufu
    Participant

I am the mother of a 16 year old boy that has been diagnosed with Severe ADHD, Asperger’s, Pervasive Development Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder. I can attest that he has done much better in calm, quiet classrooms especially during his Elementary years. I believe that I too have some Sensory issues myself. Our family has been quite open about these issues regarding my son which I believe has really helped him at school. Regarding telling your colleauges, if you are concerned about their reaction then don’t tell them. It is your business and it doesn’t seem to affect your ability to help your students or to perform your job. Instead it is a bonus and you completely understand where these children are coming from and why they react the way they do. Keep plugging along – you will find more strategies as you continue on your path!!!

kathi47
    Participant

Well girl. I am 70 and just diagnosed tho i have had it all my life. I find friends and family just dont understand. They would rather “tease” me me on my symptoms
    Which hurts so i keep it all to myself

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.