Out Of Treatment for Years But..

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Out Of Treatment for Years But..

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 2 months ago.

• Author

Frozenblub
    Participant

So I was diagnosed with ADHD (essentially ADD, no hyper active episodes) as a teenager and was put on Concerta. It worked AMAZING for me. Fast forward a few years and I was on my own and didn’t have insurance, so treatment was put on the back burner. I thought I was doing okay with managing my issues but in reality I was slowly becoming more and more buried in my symptoms. I’m now 30 and struggling horribly. I finally have insurance again and an appointment to see a GP in about 2 months time. I’m looking forward to trying to get help for my ADHD again but am nervous about bringing it up for fear that they’ll just think I’m looking for stimulants if I go in there asking for Concerta. Any advice?

AddisonG
    Participant

Hi! First of all try not to be nervous! I know it’s easier said than done (for me at least!) but you can only control your actions and feelings. I understand the worry, but try not to let it overwhelm you! If it helps, I believe that a majority of medical professionals are in the field because they genuinely want to help others. It’s hard to put in the immense amount of work that it takes to get a medical degree if you don’t (I’m currently studying cognitive and behavioral neuroscience and I’ve seen those kinds of people drop like flies).

Controlled substances like Concerta can only be prescribed by certain medical professionals. Obviously I don’t know what qualifications your GP will have, but they will probably have to refer you to a psychiatrist for treatment/medication. If you find yourself with a doctor that needs “proof,” they might/should be able to access a record of you being prescribed Concerta because of its status as a Schedule II drug. Usually records of prescriptions written for schedule II drugs are kept in state databases.

I understand where the worry comes from and how hard it can be because I dealt with doctors not believing me when I was a kid. I cycled through more doctors than I can count, but I eventually found someone who listened. If I had given up after the first couple doctors refused to believe me, I don’t know where I would be today. I genuinely believe that if you describe your symptoms and your experiences to your doctor and they flatout don’t believe you and require you prove you are being genuine, they are the problem, not you and they aren’t worth your time.

Long story short: Someone will believe you even if the first doesn’t!

JBoom
    Participant

@addisong, not sure what country you’re in, but different countries have different laws. I’m in the US, and here any doctor can prescribe any medication they want.

@frozenblub, you already have the diagnoses, and you have a history of something that works. Telling your current doctor about what you know worked in the past is not something that will be looked at as drug seeking behavior. Doctors, for the most part, don’t have the kind of ignorant judgments that society as a whole has. They will understand your medical needs, and they will know that you have experience with past treatments and will want to know your experience in that area.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Show the physician your medical history. Explain why you stopped taking medication before. Explain that you now have the ability to treat your ADHD with medication again. If the GP isn’t open to it, get an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.