Organizing my sons bedroom

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Organizing Your Child Organizing my sons bedroom

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dr. Eric 5 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author

rookieslr
    Participant

Hello folks,

My is is aged 7, and diagnosed with ADHD, plus being reviewed for a number of other learning disabilities.
    One of the things my wife and I struggle with, is his messy bedroom. He will reach to the bottom drawer of clothes, throw everything out to get to a t shirt or something, or wear something once, and then throw it on the floor, dirty clothes never make the wash bin!

Also we will get him to tidy his room, which lasts about 2 days, then toys are strewn all over the place.
    We have storage bins in his room, and book shelves and other things to organize his room, but they are never used.

Rather than take things away, do you have any ideas on how to get his room tidy, and keep it that way?
    Sure, I get it, it will not be perfect all the time, but looking at ideas to help him become a better organizer.

Thank you in advance

RookieSLR
    Canada

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

We used to do a quick pickup every night before bed. Clear bins are most helpful as well. You can label them with pictures and text for better results.

Here are more ideas:

When a Professional Organizer Has a Child with ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Chaveram000
    Participant

Hello, I’m a 17 year old with add and while I can’t say for certain what I do will work for your son it might be worth a try. I used to have the exact same issue. I stopped using draws because not being able to see everything or shuffle through was difficult so I always ended up getting it all over the place. I now hang all of my cloth I can and have a hanging basket for all other stuff.
    You can also try if you haven’t already slowing showing him how to clean certain things around the house step by step to get him to learn to do it was he becomes idle. My parents had me doing chores so that I learn to just sweep or wipe stuff off when I get antsy. Once I got used to things being clean It would start bothering me if it wasn’t.
    While I still have some struggles with my room I now keep it in good shape.
    Also try saying he has to be able to see most of his floor before getting to do other things so that he will get in the habit of having it cleared.
    Now most of this won’t help a lot in the short term due to most of it being habit. It can help with long term coping. Add does not always get better with time so it is very important to set good habits early. It really made a world of difference for me. I really hope this helps. Best of luck.

Oh one more thing that I think is very important but may be differ person to person. Try having him come up with the organisation. I can never keep things were they go when someone else decides for me, but when I decide it is much easier. Tho many people are the opposite and need to have it decided for them.

Scgali
    Participant

Hi, my son is 7 as well with ADHD. His room was also always a mess he would unplug his lamp, move his night table, legos all over, clean clothes in dirty bin,etc. On the weekend I would help him clean up but that got old fast.

We had to find something that really motivated him and he loves playing Minecraft (yes, a video game). We let him play this 30 minutes after dinner as,ling as he is showred, cleaned his room and had a decently good behavior day at school. This worked almost immediately. He keeps track of time and will have dinner, do his own shower, clean up his room (no longer that messy since he does this daily), brush teeth and then get to play his game. This has worked consistently for 3 months now so hope it continues.

mikbando
    Participant

I’ll be honest, I’m 26 with ADHD and I still struggle with this constantly. I can’t speak on what works, but I can tell you what the biggest detriment for me was. For my entire life I was simply told to do things and never given a direct answer on HOW. When told to “clean my room,” I’d sit for hours stressing over where to start, and how to finish. How do you know when it’s clean enough? What if I work all day on it and it’s not good enough? I think what would have helped me the most is having someone walk me through the process a few times, and start the task with me. At all costs, avoid making your child feel embarrassed or ashamed about his mess. For me, those feelings led to an inability to ask for help when I got overwhelmed.

leftie22
    Participant

We struggle with this too with our 8 year old son. I’ve realized that he can’t really clean without having company to keep him on track and give him specific jobs. (Put the books away. Ok, now put the Legos in the bin.) If I told him to clean his room or even “Put the Lego away” and left, I can 100% guarantee I’ll come back to a mess. I hope it becomes automatic for him one day, but we’re not there yet.

If anything has too many steps to put away, he won’t do it (much like my husband, actually), so I had to get rid of storage bins with lids. Everything has a home, and is generally in a bin with no lid, so he can just throw it in. I try to make it one step if possible. Label everything (or put a picture on, if that’s easier for him).

We used to do a clean 30 mins before bed as a family, but I found I ended up managing everyone and it got frustrating for me because as soon as I walked away from someone, they stopped working. I’m trying to have him clean up when he’s done with something now, in the moment. But I do have to be there to keep him on track.

We haven’t tried it yet, but a counsellor suggested using a Pomodoro timer to keep tasks on track.

Dr. Eric
    Participant

1. Bins are the easiest way to organize.

2. Be okay with “organized enough” instead of “organized” will be doomed to not be sustained.

3. Consider a whiteboard checklist or visible schedule for reminders and/or routine. This facilitates the child being able to monitor the work instead of his being driven by parental verbal reminders (AKA nagging).

4. Take a picture of how things are supposed to look. This way, there is an exemplar to compare things to.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.