Opening up

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ksonifrank5287
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve had ADHD for a while now. I am in a long term relationship currently and right now it is in a serious rut. I have the biggest issues with opening up to my partner and I see how much it hurts and frustrates him. I also have such an issue with answering simple/ direct questions. Instead of giving an answer I end up rephrasing the question and just find my way around the question which just makes a heated argument. Please give me tips on how to help this thank so much!

rmvinsd
      Participant

Hi, I am a adult woman with a late diagnosis and also have a difficult time opening up. For me, I am afraid if I tell people what I really think, feel, etc. that they won’t like me anymore — and I need everyone to like me lol. I have a couple of tools I use for this. The first is to remember that if this person didn’t already love me, he wouldn’t still be with me after x amount of time. The second is that i put myself in the shoes of the other person. Have you ever called a business to ask what time they open or close (since what’s posted on Yelp may not be accurate)? When I do make this call I just want a direct answer and anything else is frustrating! Or ask where someone would like to go to lunch? Or where should I meet you? These are all examples of questions I have asked friends at one point or another and when I haven’t gotten a direct answer it has been frustrating. And I know that whatever they say won’t matter with regard to how I feel about them. All of this is just what works for me. I admit it isn’t always easy to step back in the middle of a conversation. Sometimes I ask my partner for a timeout. This lets my brain calm down enough to function again and then I use my tools. Hope some of my experience helps you think of some new approaches for your life. Thanks for the opportunity to share…

Ksonifrank5287
      Participant

This is so true. He is still around and he does indeed love me. You’re right about taking a walk in his shoes and seeing his point of view. This helped a lot thanks so much.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here are some communication tips for relationships where one or both partners haas ADHD:

Sick of Arguing? It Might Be Time For a Smarter Compromise

Tips for Couples

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.