Omega 3 Interesting

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 1 month ago.

• Author

momlove
    Participant

Hello,

My son is 7 years old and has not been formally diagnosed with ADHD, but has been for SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) or certain aspects of it. He does seem to have some symptoms of ADHD (trouble focusing and hyperactivity). He has moments of pure focus and excels at schoolwork and then he is struggling to keep his eyes on the page. I am thinking of diet changes (we reduce sugar and carbs, but that is a challenge). His ped suggested an Omega 3 protocol for 6 weeks. I have been doing that for 3 weeks and included a multivitamin and a multimineral supplement (since I read about Magnesium). We have not missed a day. I was told and have read to wait until 6 weeks to evaluate if the Omega 3 has had an impact.

I decided to loosely track any changes. Loosely, since it takes so long to take effect…but my background is in science so it is difficult to not take notes as we experiment with these supplements. In the first two weeks, I did not notice any difference. Week 3, there has been a dramatic increase in obstinance, sassiness and anger. I can find no correlation with Omega 3 for these types of behaviors. In fact, I read the opposite. Is this a fluke since it so early?

If you have used Omega 3, please let me know what you experienced?

Thanks in advance!

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

That could actually be from something in the multi-vitamin. MTHFR polymorphisms can cause some to have mood issues when taking folic acid, because the process to break it down into a useable form in the body is somewhat broken.

MTHFR: Another Piece of the ADHD-Genetics Puzzle

For omegas to have any impact on focus and such, the dose needs to be pretty high.

6 How-Tos About Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.