Omega 3 dosage (high EPA) for a 10 year old

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Omega 3 dosage (high EPA) for a 10 year old

Tagged: 

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mpea.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      mpea
      Participant

I’ve come across this paper https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/wps.20672 and want to try giving my 10 year old son the dose of EPA they mention – up to 2,513 mg a day. I even found a brand that makes it possible with only 3 capsules – OmegaVia. My concern is that according to ADDitude the highest recommended dose of EPA and DHA combined is 2,500 mg a day. 3 capsules of OmegaVia will be 3,120 mg – is it too much? But how then in the above mentioned paper they talk about 2,513 mg a day of just EPA?? I’ve also read on Nordic Naturals website that up to 5,000 mg of Omega 3 a day is fine for both adults and children. This is so confusing. Any professionals here that could help me, please? TIA

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

You should talk to your child’s doctor about this. There is a lot of conflicting information on dosages of fish oil and omega supplements, even from one professional to the next. Your child’s doctor should ultimately give that guidance.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mpea
      Participant

I’ve talked to an expert regarding Omega 3 and specifically EPA.

#1 2,513 mg of EPA per day should not be given to a child, it’s way too much.

#2 For 10-13 year olds the amount of EPA should not exceed 1000 mg. Starting from 14 years, you can give them 1,500 mg of EPA.

#3 If your child eats a normal balanced diet and you are considering giving them Omega 3 JUST for ADHD, there is no need to give them full Omega 3 complex (with DHA and the rest). Give them just EPA – 1000 mg for 10-13 year olds, 1,500 mg for older kids – always with food that contains healthy fats.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.