Old Age and ADD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Old Age and ADD

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      theaddman
      Participant

I just had another birthday. I am 68 years old now. My core ADD issues are just as prevalent now as they were 30 years ago. And I’m still taking stimulant meds. (Adderall). I keep thinking I should stop the meds, now that I am a senior, and not working much. But every time I try, I fail. And go right back for another prescription. I hope I haven’t done too much damage to my body and brain after taking stimulants for so long. I started at age 45. Anyway, anyone else on this forum as old as me? Thoughts on whether I should stop the meds now? Thanks!

trish64
      Participant

Why do you feel you need the meds now that you’re not working? Personally, I would talk to your doc about weaning yourself off of them. Perhaps you feel like you can’t function without them since you’ve been on them for so long. My husband, although younger than you, had severe adhd as a child. Instead of medication he was on a strict “clean” diet. It helped a little but he just learned to cope. Today he is very successful in his field. His adhd has helped him work very efficiently in his demanding job.
      I’d talk to your doc.

donsense
      Participant

I have not found suitable medication and I have been retired for 13 years. If I had started at age 45 i would have become accustomed to their assistance but doing without i did have avery successful career until I didnt. Some of the symptoms were addressed by staff working with me, particularly organization, timeliness, diplomacy, and the celebration of our successes.
      BUT RSD Reared. Its ugly head. FAr more often as I aged i found i verbally reacted to almost any slight. When the object of my verbal tirades became the suppliers of services to my clients, i knew I could not continue without seriously jeopardizing the organization and i chose to sell the business. (All staff are still employed 13 years later)
      As a typical ADHDer i have had a few wives who all have reached or are about to reach retirement age suitably financed. The one exception is me the financier.
      So would I quit taking meds which would have helped me deal with the issues of this condition. It would be like parting with a prosthetic arm or leg if I were an amputee late in life. Not a chance.
      To put it bluntly i doubt if you have days like this and I at least have VenlaFaxine to help me accept these days and chuckle after i thaw out.

IThe story of my life and i didnt find out til i was 70 raging AdHD that is. I absolutely cannot talk at the checkout about anything and give the right answers to debit or credit card transactions. I now warn people behind me at costco that the register will break when i am in the line and to assume it will take 15 minutes for me to check out. Same at the grocer… i now never use the express line.. unfair to others i think. As to cooking this weeks todos were forgetting to,set the microwave timer for half the cooking time so I can flip the pork chop, burger, or fish fillet and cook both sides. Yesterday i shut my ipads down completely and missed my cardiologists appointment 2 hours late and the same for a mens group meeting later that day. By the way fish fillets charcoaled oneside raw on the other are edible. Pork chops not so much. Two consecutive days last week
      i have two ipads so that my timing alarms willactually go off and miss set them at least twice a week.
      Talking while driving totally wacks me. I have driven through an intersection i am supposed to turn at completely to ppthe other side of the city 30miles away.
      You can imagine my relief when i found out this was ADHD not Alzheimers.and of course Sunday Monday were one continuous disaster. Went to church after breakfast just making it in time for Choir , stayed after for coffee and finished my 4th cup including breakfast, then decided i should order my Meds at the pharmacy on the way home. Couldnt actually buy them cuz i forgot my wallet. I also forgot to visit our newly renovated washrooms before leaving. Now i rush out of pharmacy to car in cold wintery weather and start for home on a cold car seat. You can guess the result which has never happenned before but i tried. Didnt even stop for car gas and air in that front tire Still the spare from a flat two weeks ago.
      Made it home and rushed in to change my trousers, The next day i lost my glasses and was desperately looking everywhere but had to wear an old pair which kept losing a lense. That evening on my way to singing at a senior Rez my tire went flat on my way to pick up gas and the lense dropped out of my spare pair. Of course i was 30minutes late for a 45 minute concert. Drove home later and looked all over the floor of the car. Unfortunately i left the interior lights on, the temp went down to Zero and next day my 5 year old battery would not start the car for an already late Drs appointment. You know the rest. And its only Wednesday. Thank god i had nothing planned for today …I think.

bfoster
      Participant

Donsense: Thanks for your detailed description of your ADD issues, and I had to laugh because I think we can all identify with your issues. It sounds like you’ve been recently diagnosed. Have you thought about coaching? Meds can only do so much, but should be helpful in aiding you to create some new habits. It takes time, and you need to work on just changing one habit at a time, and be accountable to someone, preferably a coach.
      Regarding lo
      I’m in my 70s, not diagnosed until my mid 50s. I’ve slowly (very slowly!) developed some habits and found tools that help me. Examples: Online banking, such a lifesaver in that I now pay all my regular bills the first of the month (when SS and pension checks come in), don’t have to go searching for envelopes and stamps, and can also see my bank balance at any time of the day or night. 10 years ago I had student loan debt, late charges galore, finances were a mess.
      I hired a house cleaner, finally admitting that I am not capable of keeping up my house after 30 plus years of trying.
      I use my Iphone for reminders for everything, even TV shows that I want to watch. I also save information that I may need (example: a list of my meds to give to any doctor’s appointment is stored in my phone). I put sticky notes on my door in the evening to remind me of what I need to take with me in the morning. Eyeglasses: I have extra drug store glasses stored in my house in a drawer, and a couple of pairs in my car.
      I’ve also found that meditation and simplifying my life are important. I have a meditation ap on my phone, and try to remember to do a short 5 or 10 minute meditation in the A.M. And just living simply, slowly getting rid of clutter a few pieces at a time, trying to become very lean in terms of belongings.
      Is my life perfect? No way, I procrastinate badly and still forget things, have trouble with unstructured time now that I’m retired. But like to think I’m a work in progress and still try to develop some new strategies to stay on track.
      Oh, and exercise…when I remember to go to Planet Fitness or take a walk when weather is good. Still working on getting myself to regularly exercise, but it’s so easy to talk myself out of it. Which is silly because I feel so much better afterwards.

AKBW
      Participant

I was on Ritalin for at least 10 years. Because I turned 65 my psychiatrist told me I had to go off the drug. She indicated it was the insurance company that called the shots. I’m on Nuvigil now (it’s a synthetic) but I don’t think it does a thing. I keep taking it anyway in the hopes that it will work. Maybe I did get “used to” the Ritalin, but it kept me functioning in all aspects of my life. Now I fall asleep whenever I’m idle – whether it’s watching TV, reading or waiting in a Doctor’s office.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.