offline computer use tracking

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Sylvia Malinda
    Participant

Like a number of other people here I have a teen with severe computer addiction. They would spend all day and all night on the computer if I didn’t interfere and, while they are normally a wonderful person, if I try to get them off the computer or to do work which interferes with being on the computer they instantly become angry and confrontational. I have web monitoring software installed so that when they say they are on the computer to do homework, they are actually doing homework, which seems to be helping. The problem is, as a single parent, I can’t prevent there being a gap of several hours each day when they are home by themselves and using that time efficiently is necessary for them to complete chores, homework that doesn’t require a computer etc. I have the computer hooked up to one of those token box things so I can limit how much time they can be on during that time. However, they are an older teen and very tech savvy so I worry they may have found a way to bypass this (they are always on when I come home regardless of whether I had to work late or was able to leave early that day). So I got the monitoring software, which also monitors offline activity. However, it only monitors if the computer is connected to the internet. It didn’t take long for them to realize they can just switch off the wifi when they want to play games without being tracked. Anyone have any suggestions for computer monitoring software that doesn’t require an internet connection or a way I can tell if they are switching the wifi on and off to hide things? Thanks for the support everyone.

Ranma
    Participant

Nothing is 100% but try looking into keylogging software.
    Also hidden surveillance cameras.
    Or have a computer room and deadbolt the door.
    But maybe having a discussion and setting up a reward system, instead of punishment.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Disney Circle will allow you to control by device.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.