Occupational Therapy for ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Occupational Therapy for ADHD

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ella C 6 days, 6 hours ago.

• Author

Ella C
    Participant

Has anyone used an Occupational Therapist for their ADHD? If so, what kind of treatments did they do and was it helpful?

shanleigh
    Participant

I am a 47 year old women that was formally diagnosed c ADHD & anxiety approx 2.5 year’s ago. I have been aware for many yr’s that I have to try harder, deflect c humor, cover, charm & sometimes do odd, seemingly unusual thing’s to live & learn. When I think on my childhood, I recall being around 6 yr’s & impulsively getting off at the wrong bus stop, wandering the streets of Tempe, AZ. feeling so scared. My poor parent’s, lucky I was found by a kind person who helped me get back to our apt..it wasn’t just a few off blocks. My 4th grade teacher, in Kingman AZ., humiliated me in front of the class. I remember it so very clearly, feeling like I was stupid & something was wrong c me. I was trying too hard to listen. I was so afraid of being wrong. Back then, after being singled out, I was moved to a special rm. My memories of this time are the other kids that also had challenges or severe IDs. I enjoyed being around them & felt like I had a meaningful role. I don’t recall a lot of interpersonal interaction c adults. They put me on a computer (probably one of the first;). Later in my life, I was able to grad fr HS, went on to get a Social Work degree, & then I got my grad degree in Occupational Therapy. Grad school nearly did me in & here I was c all of these OT professor’s. I made it by the skin of my teeth. I had tutor’s, I sang songs, I made up dance moves to remember anatomy, & I even secretly recorded the Dean meeting c me bi weekly. I have worked so hard throughout my pursuit of education. But everyday is a challenge & when I found this website tonight, I ugly cried. It took me way too long to answer your question. Yes, I believe OT for ADHD can be very helpful. I am trying to OT myself right now;) One thing I’ve found is that the med’s should not stand alone. I know OT’s in school setting’s are very limited c their time & focus only on school specific tasks. I have seen & worked c some incredible OT’s. I worked as an OT student in a grade school in FFX VA-18 yrs ago. Like anything else in this world, there’s good & bad. I remember making a rec to a teacher I was working c who was about to retire. The student had ADHD, his desk- a wreck, he couldn’t stop rocking. I filled up moderately heavy bean bags for back of classrm that could be pulled & encouraged her to allow him to get up & move-wash boards etc. But she refused, explaining to me that it would appear that she was rewarding him for his bad behavior. I want to believe things are better in our school system’s now. My sister’s a teacher & my nephew’s been newly dx c ADHD & anxiety..possibly OCD. She brought him to an outpatient OT and was very disappointed. I would suggest asking experienced Teachers, Special Educators, Principals, Social Worker’s, Neurologist’s, other parents or health professionals if they know of anyone they hold in high regard. Shoot, maybe I need their # too. I wish you the best. This took on a life of it’s own-in true ADHD Combined Presentation. V/R-Shanleigh

Ella C
      Participant

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your story! This helps a lot! I have a special place in my heart for people with adhd (I also have adhd myself so I understand a lot of the struggles from person experience) and would really love to specialize in working with them, and this question was posted to explore the different areas I could do that. 😊

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

When my son was in OT, they worked on sensory issues, self-awareness, and self-regulation. They also worked a little on planning and organization but that didn’t really help in those areas. I’m not aware of what an OT would work on with an adult with ADHD — you should reach out to one or two OT offices that work with adults in your area and ask this question.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jhasselt
      Participant

Hi Penny – Approximately how old or what grade was your son in? My son is in 4K and the teacher is recommending Early Childhood, but I’m wondering if OT would help him stay more calm at school? I’m just not sure yet.

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

He did OT at ages 6-7 (working on hyperactivity and sensory) and again at age 11 (working on emotions and executive functioning strategies).

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.