Obtaining a diagnosis for adult ADHD in Malaysia

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Obtaining a diagnosis for adult ADHD in Malaysia

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      J
      Participant

Hi all,

Adhd awareness in Malaysia exists but is not as prevalent as in the UK or US. I was wondering if anyone here can help with either recommending an expert in Malaysia, or help me make a choice below.

Person 1 is a child learning expert who has qualifications from the UK. She said for above 18 years of age, she uses Adaptive Behaviours Analysis, Vineland. I was told that this won’t be useful.

Person 2 runs an affordable and popular organisation for mental health in Malaysia. The founder said that she will do an interview for ADHD, and then use a diagnostic tool obtained from the US. She is vague about the source and type of tool it is.

Person 3 says that she will do an interview to assess for the client’s overall mental state. If ADHD is suspected, she will then use online screening tools and use their expertise to assess the results. After that, she will do more tests which she was relatively vague about. No interviews with parents. The aim is to help with coping strategies / intervention. She seems knowledgeable.

If none of them sound any good, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know as well.

Thanks all.

JBoom
      Participant

Stimulant medication is the proven first-line treatment for ADHD. Those vague explains of your options all seem like anti-medication minded people who aren’t medical doctors. Such people are everywhere and in some areas more pervasive than ADHD professionals who actually know how to effectively treat the condition.

I have no knowledge of what things are like in your area. But, if it’s an option, seek out a medical doctor who is knowledgeable of the science of ADHD, not an idealist who ignores science in favor of their ideology.

J
        Participant

Thank you

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here’s a list of all the possible assessments used to diagnose ADHD:

The Full Library of ADHD Assessments and Tests

Ask the clinicians what specific tools they will use and see if they’re on this list of standards. That can help you make a decision.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

J
        Participant

Thanks for the list! Looks like I will have to continue my search for a proper expert. It’s not only just for me but for my mother too.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.