Not sure what to think.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      kushernyk
      Participant

I’ve been looking through so many of the articles on here and I’ve been doing a ton of research on ADD. I can relate to so much of it but my parents are adamant I don’t have it and I feel like a hypochondriac now when I bring it up. Basically, I am wondering if this sounds like ADD and if I should talk to a doctor or school counselor about it.
      I know I could be doing better in school, I have decent grades but I feel like I wait until last minute to do every assignment because I just can’t find it in me to do it? Like there’s never motivation to do it until it’s due in less than 24 hours. Once I pass the due date I just give up most times. But then there are times I get into what I’m doing. If I’m reading a book, I’ll sit and read the whole book through in a day or so. I’ll binge watch an entire series, I’ll sit and work on my social and get a few weeks ahead in a matter of days.
      I lose my stuff all the time. I put something down-just for a second-and it’s gone. I retrace my footsteps a thousand times and then a week later I find my house keys on the top of the parrot’s cage because I had stopped to say hello and scratch it’s head.
      I can’t sleep at night. I’m restless. I listen to meditations and they remind me too relax my body, when I’m listening and not thinking about how my sister locked me in the pantry that one time when we were 5 or how my hair was a tangled mess while I was talking to my crush last week, I notice my body always just tenses up again. Slightly though? You don’t really notice until you hear the meditation finish telling you to relax your toes and you realized you tensed every muscle again that the meditation had already gone through.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It could be ADHD, or it may not be. The only way to know is to get evaluated. Talk to a guidance counselor or your family physician if you feel like your parents aren’t hearing you.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

justdiagnosed
      Participant

Yes PLEASE talk to your guidance counselor or doctor. If you still don’t think they listened to you properly then keep trying until you get through to them or your parents. This is the only way you’ll know whether or not you have ADHD or some other condition. And it’s the only way you will get help if you do have a disorder. I’m 44 now and I wish to God someone had listened to me and gotten me into mental health treatment when I was a kid.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.