Not sure what else to do in terms of Medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Not sure what else to do in terms of Medication

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bunker
      Participant

Hi,

So I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 8, but back then my grades were fine and I wasn’t running into many issues so my Doctor decided that the medication wasn’t going to do much(if it’s not broken don’t fix it approach). Fast Forward 13 years and I am having real issues in College and decided to go seek help. The doctor first put me on Vyvanse starting at 20 mg and going up, we stopped at 40mg because she wasn’t happy with the side effects it was causing me but despite them I felt that my productivity and work ethic had actually improved. I was then put on Concerta and have moved up to 54 mg of Concerta with a 20 mg ritalin supplement (because with both the vyvanse and concerta I wasn’t getting more than 6-7 hours of effectiveness) and was told initially to take 2 ritalins but that was causing sleep problems so I dropped it to 1.

From the get go I didn’t find the Concerta was helping me in terms of Focusing and getting work done, it was helping me more emotionally in terms of a small incident doesn’t put me in a bad mood for the next 3 hours. I will say that I am better with the Concerta at 54 mg than I was when it was 27mg (that one felt like I was unmedicated) but in terms of my ability to sit down without feeling the need to get up and get stuff done and not putting off things that I should be doing right now I wouldn’t say there is a significant difference.

I honestly need some advice here because from what was explained to me I have tried Vyvanse and Concerta and these are the 2 types of stimulant families, so if neither is working my only option is non-stimulants (which I was told was mostly reserved for people who have additional condition on top of ADHD where stimulants most likely wouldn’t work for me)

So I don’t know what to do at this point. Am I stuck like this?

Fluttermind
      Participant

What do your Concerta pills look like? If they aren’t from Activis and don’t say “alza 54” on them (this is basically real Concerta sold as a generic), then they’re probably pretty much useless (and were/are under FDA investigation for not being equivalent). The one month I tried a different generic was the month I paid a hundred dollars for sugar pills (except for like two pills – those were like getting hit by a train), so now I will go to different pharmacies until I find the right kind.

So yeah, if you’ve not gotten the Activis stuff, make sure you actually experience Concerta before you write it off. But if you’ve been on the Activis stuff and it’s not working, then welp.

Bunker
        Participant

It’s real concerta it says ALZA on them. Should I tell my doctor I want to go back to the Vyvanse despite the side effects.

Abelle2181
      Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD last year. I have tried to versions of Adderall, Wellbutrin, Mydayis, an now Ritalin LA. My problem is that all of the extended release medications only last for about 3 hours. When I come down it’s the worst feeling, I literally feel sick. I’ve searched everywhere for answers with no luck. I don’t understand why my body metabolizes medications so quick. I’ve had to move to
      End up at the highest dose possible for each medication, and still no relief. Has anyone had this problem ? If so any advice? I can’t handle the coming down symptoms anymore.

brosey27
      Participant

Any one help me some, lost my prescription

Fluttermind
        Participant

Brosey, call your doctor. Random folks on the internet can’t help you find your prescription or help you obtain schedule II meds.

If you need to concentrate in the meantime, try to eat lots of protein, avoid refined carbs and added sugar, and exercise. Also, caffeine is a low quality stimulant, but it’s still a stimulant, so lean on caffeinated beverages and that 5 hour energy stuff (I have a friend who swears by this). For caffeine, I recommend Yerba mate tea because it has a high caffeine content but feels smooth and not so jittery.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.