Not sure if I have adult ADD, anxiety, or what. Help!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Not sure if I have adult ADD, anxiety, or what. Help!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello, I am 18 years old and just about to finish my first semester in college, however I think i may be affected by mild ADHD or some type of social anxiety. I have also heard that undiagnosed ADHD can produce symptoms of social anxiety.
      Whenever I read something that I am not interested in I have a hard time focusing, my mind just seems wander off, even when I am literally in the process of reading. After a paragraph or so, I catch myself from wandering off, and realize that I just read a bunch of information but cant even remember any of it.

Also, this is more on the milder side, but sometimes when I have a conversation with someone I don’t know, I can wonder off, like when reading, and only retain bits and pieces of what they said, its like I have no interest or don’t care too much about what they have to say.
      I can also have trouble starting a conversation, partly to the fact that i can stutter sometimes, or tend to avoid human conflict, not often but in certain social situations.

Also on the more milder side is my procrastination, sometimes I think is no big deal if I put my assignment off till the last minute, as i underestimate the amount of time it will take me. As for disorganization or messiness, there is some there but it could just be because I can be lazy sometimes.

Switching over to the class room, my attention span is perfectly find sometimes, but I do find myself thinking a lot in my own head, often not paying enough attention to my professor. Also, sometimes I have bad anxiety in class, like when I am called on to answer a question, even when I know the answer, my mind will go blank and I will just kind of freeze up, or say ummmm.

Socially, whenever I feel like I am the center of attention, (standing up to go to the bathroom, talking to my professor when no one else is, etc.) I am nervous that i might make a mistake, and it will be really awkward, like I always assume the worst case scenario, and talk near as much as the other kids in my class.

Again, a lot of these symptoms seem to be on the milder, like they are not as extreme as the symptoms you would find online if you were to search adult ADHD or social anxiety. However, I do think there is a possibility for something there as these symptoms have sort of been present most of my life, I just never really thought anything of it.

I appreciate your feedback,
      Thanks

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Could be ADHD, could be anxiety, could be both. The only way to know for sure is to seek a professional evaluation. here’s how:

Who Should Evaluate Me for Adult ADHD?

You Think You’ve Got Adult ADHD — What to Know

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.