Non-stimulants?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      RobinGreen94
      Participant

I’m basically wondering if the options have changed at all since I was in high school, and what other people’s experiences have been. I tried Adderall briefly in 9th grade and the side effects were too much for me, tried Strattera after that and it didn’t do anything at all. I’m now 23 and in my last year of college, and have considered medication again off and on in the past year or so. I know that I should try other things first, but sometimes I get so frustrated and I wish that I could safely take medication for my ADHD like so many others and be successful!
      I read some reviews of the non-stimulants, and a lot of people are saying that they just make them sleepy. I know that stimulants are effective for a lot of people, but after that bad experience with Adderall, I would be pretty hesitant and afraid to try a stimulant again. What are YOUR experiences and have they come out with anything else since 2009? Is there really much of a difference between Methylphenidates and Amphetamines? Are certain nonstimulants more effective than others? Thank you!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by RobinGreen94.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are several new medications since 2009. I think Kapvay and Intuniv were both released since then, and there are at least 2 new stimulants as well.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. That means you could possibly try and succeed with a methylphenidate.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Share This With Your Physician! 11 Steps to Prescribing and Using ADHD Medication Effectively

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

TaurusMoon
      Participant

Good questions! As a parent to a child with ADHD Hyperactive/Impulsive type, we are newer to the medication game. My son started a stimulant medication Vyvanse, 20 mg, last spring. When he was having some heavy side effects from the stimulant- loss of appetite, weight loss, we asked his psychiatrist about a non-simulant option.

My son’s doctor then prescribed him Wellbutrin as a non-stimulant option. From personal experience my husband and I knew that this medication tends to be used as a “catch all” from depression to smoking cessation, we were reluctant to go this route. Especially since we knew that stimulant options were better for treating ADHD symptoms.

We decided against starting the Wellbutrin and tried a different dosing schedule with the Vyvanse, which has worked wonderfully. I know it is not what you were initially looking for, but it (Vyvanse) has been a positive for our son.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by TaurusMoon.
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.