Non-stimulant question

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Non-stimulant question

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      bambicandy86
      Participant

Hello. My 9yr old daughter is diagnosed ADHD & ODD. We started medicating about a week ago, and this has been the hardest time yet. I looked up information about the medication thinking it may have been a side effect or something, and I discovered that she was prescribed a non-stimulant. This is shocking to me, since I was always told that stimulants are what is needed for the neurotransmitters in the brain. I, myself, am ADHD, so I have done a bit of research; but I thought nothing of it when her psychologist said that the usual starting treatment is a stimulant. I am wondering why might my daughter be prescribed a non-stimulant to try first rather than a stimulant. I am attempting to contact the physician as well. Thank you all.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Some physicians are more comfortable trying non-stimulants first, since they’re not a “controlled substance.” But, you’re right, studies show that stimulant medication, coupled with behavior therapy, is the most effective treatment for ADHD. Definitely discuss your concerns with the prescribing doctor.

Here’s more on treating ADHD in children:

A Parent’s Complete Guide to ADHD Medications

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jhasselt
      Participant

My son is 8 with adhd and odd. The pediatrician wanted to start him on a non stimulant as he said some stimulants can trigger aggression and difficult temperment. Since you daughter also has ODD. maybe this the same reasoning?

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

There was a study in the last 2-3 years that showed a stimulant in combination with Risperdal was the most effective treatment for ADHD with ODD. Here’s more on treating ODD:

How to Treat Oppositional Defiant Disorder

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.