Non-Stimulant Med without all the side effects

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Non-Stimulant Med without all the side effects

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MountainMama41 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Maxcat
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been trying various ADD meds and looking for a non-stimulant med that works well but doesn’t have a lot of side effects. In general I’m sensitive to meds so I see this as an ongoing battle. I started with Ritalin which was fantastic but I felt I was on speed. Then I tried Strattera but I can’t handle the side effects. Has anyone had any success with Clonidine (Kapvay)or Guanfacine (Intuniv)?

Thanks.

quietlylost
    Participant

I did well with Wellbutrin (bupropion) but switched off it due to a side effect. It was good overall though.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

The side effects are different for each individual. The only way to know how you’ll respond to a specific ADHD medication is to try it. Here’s some information on different non-stimulant options.

Non-Stimulant ADHD Medication Overview

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

unverified
    Participant

You’re gonna have to try them yourself. People have had great results with wellbutrin and strattera, while those have put me on suicide watch. So, we’re all different

MountainMama41
    Participant

I tried guanfscine and it didn’t work for me.
    Wellbutrin made my heart race like crazy.
    Adderall made me feel so jittery.
    I’m sensitive to meds as well. I wish they made “baby doses” for those of us who are super sensitive!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.