Noise cancelling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am recently diagnosed as an adult with ADHD inattentive type. I work in an office setting and sit in a cubicle. I have a neighbor who is a bit of a loud talker, especially when on the phone. But she also tends to think out loud, she doesn’t know that I have a working memory/ attentiveness struggle, and I have no problem telling her about it, but she is pretty set in her ways. The social worker I worked through the diagnosis with said that in some studies inattentive ADHDers take as much as 5x as long to get back on task after a distraction, this is a struggle for me. I have had success in the past studying for high level certification exams while wearing headphones with instrumental music on, while my kids played in the background. However at work I need to be able to hear if my phone is ringing, are there any tools out there that may help in this situation? It is a huge damper on my productivity trying to tune her out while she is talking with her clients. Thanks for any insights.

ADHDinPGH
      Participant

I would see if there’s some kind of program that links the phone to your work computer to give you a visual cue that the phone is ringing. I had to share a cube with someone who has Tourette’s with really bad, regular outbursts. I got noise cancelling headphones and moved my phone to be right under my monitor so I could see the light flash when my phone rang. Good luck!

Outsider
      Participant

Check with your IT department and see if your phone and computer can be linked. Some VOIP systems that companies use can push everything to your computer and a window pops up when a call is coming in. You can use the computer to take the call or the handset.
      I also use background music to keep my focus but my phone ringer is set pretty darn loud just in case.

Dr. Eric
      Participant

I use Bose SportsSounds in-ear plug in earbuds.

They are not technically noise canceling, but the non-bluetooth ones are really affordable on ebay or amazon and do a great job.

Real noise canceling or the wireless Bose cost some $$$.

Add the likelihood that ADHD will make them lost or broken…

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.