No Therapy Progress?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      purplefuzz
      Participant

Hi!

To make things short, simple, and sweet my concern is that I don’t feel like progress is being made anymore in therapy. It’s more so just check-in chats and I know that there is more that needs to be dug deeper into. I bring up topics and what not, but most of the time they seemed to be pushed to the side. I hope that all makes sense…There’s not doubt he’s not a great therapist. I just don’t know how to bring up my concerns. Has anybody else had a similar experience or had to tell your therapist you didn’t feel that progress was being made?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It sounds like it’s time to find a new therapist. A great therapist frequently checks in on your current concerns.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

jessica james
      Blocked

The best way to defeat mental illness is therapy.
      Therapy is a treatment. It’s there to help you help yourself. Much like a cast on a broken foot, once that cast comes off, it’s up to you to do the exercises to regain the strength of the foot. Therapy is the cast of an injured mind, it’s there to help stabilize and support, but it’s up to you to put in the work (exercise, eating right, etc.) You may still be suicidal, you may still be a nihilist, none of these are inherently bad, but depression can be treated and helped with many tools. Tools that you must implement outside of the therapist’s office. If you think your therapy is not good enough to help you, it’s better to change your therapist. But don’t skip your therapy sessions. It works miraculously.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.