Newly Diagnosed-Question about a Comment from Testing

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Newly Diagnosed-Question about a Comment from Testing

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      5wheel
      Participant

Newly diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD in Feb of this year by a licensed Psychologist. Finally this week we finally found the right dosage of medicine and its like finally seeing for the first time! Everyday I have an “Ahaaa” moment as I continue to learn and understand this.

In one of my counseling sessions; my doctor told me based on the battery of assessment testing I took with him – one of the testing indicated I’m borderline “brilliant” lol (I know that sounds weird even as I type it). He told me I’m like a “corvette” but have been running on 4 flat tires all my life. I get that corvette analogy after finally seeing what I have been missing with the meds, but I can’t wrap my head around the brilliancy comment because in my mind and performance I don’t see it. I asked for a copy of the test because it wasn’t an IQ test however he said he couldn’t give me a copy? (seems weird since I paid for it)

I’m not able to meet with him for another month (insurance reasons) Can anyone help me understand more about this “brilliant” comment he made or point me to some reference material? If I recall right, the test was drawings and I had to “quickly” identify various objects based on various questions. I know thats vague but its really all I can remember, everything was going so fast.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts đŸ™‚

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It’s very possible to have a high IQ and have a lot of obstacles to showing it and living like people expect a smart person would. Intelligence isn’t the sole measure of capability. Many people are brilliant and function very poorly. It’s called Twice-Exceptional (2e) when someone has a gifted IQ and disabilities.

What Does “Twice Exceptional” Mean?

So, don’t let that throw you for a loop. What will be most helpful if to fully detail your strengths and weaknesses, and use those to craft successes. Now that you are treating your ADHD, it will be easier to do this.

Confessions of a Learning-Disabled Success

Step Up to the Plate: Finding Success With ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

5wheel
        Participant

Thank you for understanding my question and taking the time sharing helpful links, that was exactly what I was looking for! đŸ™‚

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

You are most welcome! đŸ˜‰

MrNeutron
      Participant

5wheel, can you tell me which medication and the dosage that worked for you?

5wheel
        Participant

30 mg Adderall. We started at 10, went to 20 and nothing seem to work until we hit 30. That was when my life changed.

Penny Williams
        Keymaster

Remember, each ADHD medication works differently for each individual. What works for one adult may come with terrible side effects for another. Medication and dosage that’s right for you is based on your unique combination of metabolism, genetics, and neurotransmitter function.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
        ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Pump2Duncan
      Participant

I’m a Mom of a child with ADHD and I can completely relate to your doctors brilliant comment. Once we got the dosage right on his medication, it was like something just clicked for him academically. He went from being FAR behind his peers and grade level for years to making huge gains. In a month, he would gain 6 months of reading ability. He went from 4 years behind in reading and every teacher knowing that he’d fail the state mandated reading test to PASSING it in 4 months. Now he smashes every academic goal they set for him, this year gaining an additional 2 years of reading knowledge in 1 school year and he’s now considered advanced in both math and reading and he’s at the top of his class for engineering and math.

He still struggles in social and organization aspects, but it’s like the medication let his brilliance shine through. I think your doctor’s analogy of the car with the flat wheels was spot on.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.