New to vyvnase

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 4 weeks ago.

• Author

asagend1
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    My name is alicia i was diagnosed with ADHD at age 8 i’m now 29.
    I’ve been on cylert, ritalin, adderral, concerta, maxed out on straterra, wellbutrin, and lamictal. My new pyschiatrist just put me on vyvnase 20 mg. She also told me about this great website. I’ve only been on it 5 days. I have the dry mouth, inside like feeling of jittery but i’m calm at same time its hard to explain, decreased appetite (which is okay with me because i could loose weight i’m deemed overweight according to BMI) just wondering how long the jitters can last for. They arent debilitating and i don’t have palpitations. Also how many have lost weight on this? My own fear is that like the other medications they will work for a while and then stop working. Anyone else have that problem while on this medication. Also does anyone ever wonder if they are depressed or if its symptoms of adhd. I binge sleep, don’t spend a lot of time/ effort on personal presentation for work, carelessness or is it component of the adhd. Both pysciatrists seem to focus on treating the adhd. I don’t realyy have a reason to be depressed either.
    All thoughtts appreciated happy to be apart of this community

tlmatthews30
    Participant

I just went from Concerta to Vyvanse. I actually like it much better than Concerta. It’s given me much clearer thinking. I do have anxiety and depression. It’s not uncommon for us Add people to have Anxiety or depression or even both. Talk to your Drs about what you are feeling. They are your go to with new medications. and if you’re feeling different than before they need to know.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

The best practices for prescribing ADHD medication is to start with the lowest dose and titrate up only if and when needed. 10 mg is the lowest dose of Vyvanse, so your clinician didn’t follow this. I’d let the prescriber know you’re feeling jittery and you’d like to try the 10 mg dose.

Also, There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. You could be a methylphenidate person.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.