New here

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Momofadhd
      Participant

Hello!

I have a 6 year old son that was officially diagnosed this year with ADHD.
      Kindergarten was such a fight that I’m considering homeschooling. I will wait to see how first grade goes. They recommended holding him back as he had major behavior issues and was bottom 20% of his class. I had that meeting with the principal, behavior therapist, and teacher. They all recommended holding him back. I told them I think I could get him caught up that last 9 weeks and they smirked, like yeah..ok. Well, I was able to tutor him and he was in the top 20% when he graduated. However, as encouraging as that seems, he learned NOTHING from his kindergarten teacher. Everything he has learned is because I forced him into learning at home ( he cried and protested each minute). I can only do that an hour of the day because he is in school all day. I’m also so sick of the phone calls from school. I feel like school is a place he goes to waste 7 hours and to give me a break. That’s the only value. He’s also way to eager to make friends. His “friend” once told him to pinch is own arm so hard and would come home with marks. He told me his friends told him to do that. He is so weak to peer pressure he would totally be that kids who starts drugs at 12 just so he could fit in.

Has anyone else considered homeschooling or successfully done it?

dtheobald
      Participant

Hello! My daughter turned 7 in March and was diagnosed ADHD as well, along with some other health issues she has had from birth. She to suffers from behavior issues and sounds much like your son. I have two older children, a rising 10th-grader and a rising eighth-grader whom I have homeschooled since kindergarten age. So, the decision to homeschool my daughter was a fairly simple one. However, given her learning issues – she’s behind as well… And our day looks completely different than the way that I homeschooled my boys. A couple of suggestions – don’t try to re-create a classroom setting in your home. I can tell you from experience, that it will drive you crazy. Another suggestion is to keep the learning sessions fairly brief.But, in short – you can do this! Just think about the fact that you can tailor the subjects and learning style to suit his strengths and weaknesses. I would be happy to discuss some things that I’ve done with my children, especially my daughter, in more depth if you’d like to chat.

ajlove
      Participant

Hello, my son actually hasn’t been to the school yet. He should be starting kindergarten this year but I will be homeschooling him since we won’t be in the country for most of the year. If either one of you could give me any tips or help with homeschooling a child with ADHD that would be awesome and really helpful. Thank you!

bookworm92
      Participant

I have not had kids yet, but this has been a concern of mine when I do. It wasn’t until the end of first grade that we got me reading on level (and then by 5th grade I was on college level, so there is hope) and it wasn’t until now, that I’m 24 and taking a college algebra math that math even remotely makes sense. My parents tried tutors, I started in a private school till 4th grade and then transferred to a public school, because the private school had more freedom in trying to tell my parents what to do with my mental health and my 4th grade teacher was an awful match for me. As I started college, I loved online classes because I could tailor them to myself. Basically home school myself in a way. From experience, those early years are crucial, as I’m sure you know. My math issues went from never getting the basics to then being combined with convinced I couldn’t do it because I never had before. Homeschooling may be the best fit for him. Or maybe look into a Montessori if they are available, there are some public ones, at least in some states. Montessori are more developmentally accurate compared to “traditional schools.” Or in first grade he may have a wonderful teacher that he clicks with and he can stay where he is. You got this, you know your child better than the school does, don’t be afraid to try homeschooling. There are social groups for home school kids and books and articles on how to do it. He will learn in time.

bechra
      Participant

I have 2 children. My son has ADHD, Dyslexia, OCD and depression. My daughter has ADD, Dyxlexia and OCD. I home schooled them from pre-school through 12th grade. I must have done something right because my son scored so high on the military entrance exam, he could have joined the most elite unit of the Oregon Coast Guard and my daughter graduated college with high honors. I say this, not to brag, but to give hope. ADDers are SMART! Each of them have some special talent. My son is very mechanically inclined and good with his hands. He is extremely good at math. My daughter is gifted in languages, music and art. Your child has gifts, too. They are now 37 and 38 years and doing very well.

Instead of putting in hours on homework, why not just do the teaching in the first place, while your child is fresh? You can tailor the curriculum to fit your child’s needs and learning styles. I was a home school consultant for 12 years. I have helped many, many families. Some had learning/behavior problems and some were ‘typical’ children. I am happy to help anyone who wants to home school, especially those who have special circumstances. It is my firm belief that almost any parent can do a better job of teaching their own child/children than the teacher with a classroom of children whom she does not have time to really get to know.

Some of the other reasons I homeschooled were my Christian beliefs, the bad curriculums and the peer pressure.

My email is bechra@hotmail.com. I’m leaving on vacation until the end of July, so may not be able to send long emails, but will acknowledge you and definitely catch up when we come back.

Momofadhd
        Participant

That’s incredible! I agree with you on just having him home and teaching him when he’s fresh. I’m eager/nervous to see how first grade goes. If it goes anything like Kindergarten, I can definitely see taking him out of school.

elpalumbo1
      Participant

Heritagemom11 i am right there with you although we are entering 3rd grade my sons biggest issue is he is non cooperative in class. He brings home all his work completes a full days work in less than 30 mims i am left to wonder how many children are truely suffering from a diagnosis and how many schools are too lazy to try to teach children in an engaging and age appropriate manner. My son was only recently (past month) diagignosed as ADHD, inattetive type, ODD and anxiety and depression. I am having a very difficult time of it considering how intelligent and well behaved he is at home and in most settings, to me I have never seen any type of anxiety other than the constant complaints from the school he worrys about our reaction at home. We are even changing districts first to see if its him or the school if it turns out to be him, so to speak, i will likely home school as well.

kmarty170
      Participant

I have a 10 year old daughter and 7 year old son, both have ADHD and a learning disorder. You have no idea how much I have wanted to home school over the last couple of years. School is extremely challenging for my daughter in particular. The post from heritagemom11 really resonated as I have had the same feelings and concerns about my daughter. I don’t know if home schooling would be better for my kids, but I don’t have that option. I feel like there should be schools that specialize in non-traditional classroom settings that can tailor the teachings to the kids rather than to reach state standards and testing. I work very closely with the school to try and make their school experience as positive as it can be. My daughter has mentioned that she may want to go to college when just a couple of years ago she was adamant that when she was done with school, she was done. Best of luck to everyone!

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Many parents of kids with learning challenges choose to home school. Just be sure you can keep your child active and practicing social skills, and make sure you can get breaks.

How Can I Get Started Homeschooling My Child?

When Traditional Schools Fail Your Child

Check out this webinar replay too: https://www.additudemag.com/webinar/homeschool-lessons-learned-adhd-students/.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.