New diagnosis, new meds– new symptoms?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD New diagnosis, new meds– new symptoms?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      PansyGuild
      Participant

Hi all,
      I’m a newly diagnosed adult and this diagnosis came out of no where! I have had OCD all my life, but when my psychiatrist diagnoes me with ADHD I was blown away. Adderal (immediate release) has helped me so much already, and a lot of the thoughts that I attributed to OCD have gone away.

However, I find that some of my symptoms are actually increasing on adderall. For instance, I rarely experienced that feeling of “being a motor that can’t turn off”. I just had trouble paying attention and with executive function. Now I find I have trouble stopping a task and switching to the next one, leaving something undone, or slowing down.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did I get a mis-diagnosis? Am I just far more aware of my busy body-ness now?

Madison.Jarvis
      Participant

I was diagnosed with depression years ago and have just only recently been told that my depression was caused by undiagnosed ADHD. I have the inattentive type and not the hyperactivity but since starting my meds I feel the same way you described. I’m constantly doing things, I can’t switch off and I feel like I’ve just had 10 coffees all the time.

I don’t know about you but I’m loving this energy as I have spent years in a depressive state. It has also greatly helped me with my anxiety around making phone calls, something which used to send me into a panic attack.

I look forward to doing all the things I never had the motivation to do before.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD medication can make you hyper focus more, especially if it’s not the right medication for you or not the right dosage. Talk to your prescribing doctor about what you’re experiencing and discuss a medication adjustment.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.