New clothing sensitivity

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline New clothing sensitivity

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jesswillard
      Participant

My 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with ADHD, on guanfacine 2mg at night (still adjusting this dose) and getting by on 5mg of Adderall for school. He has had tremendous success at school on these meds but all of a sudden he will only wear like two outfits. Everything else “feels weird” or “looks stupid”. He has become super rigid and freaks out if the outfit he wants isn’t clean.

Is this anxiety? Meds? It’s just added another layer of difficulty and I’m so frustrated.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It could be anxiety or medication-induced. My son will not wear anything but soft, tagless clothes, athletic wear. I think it started around age 6 or 7. I think this is when they are able to make the association between the feeling and their clothes and start to voice that it’s uncomfortable. Talk to his clinician about this.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

phantasm
      Participant

what you can do for him is to provide positive attention. …

katalepsykills
      Participant

This is really weird to me. I don’t really know if it’s connected to adderall. I haven’t considered it before. I’ve been thinking it was something environmental. I’ll just say I’m an adult and have been taking adderall for 16 years. And I also suddenly want soft clothes, because rough clothes do in fact feel weird. I’ve had a change anyway, and that happened about 3 years ago. My feet in particular are picky and I can only wear soft socks. I think it’s maybe an allergy issue? Maybe a chemical issue. I suppose it feels like what they describe when they talk about chemical sensitivities. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/multiple-chemical-sensitivity At the same time this happened, I also became sensitive to fragrances. Especially ones found in things like drier sheets, and in some detergents(most). Maybe I’m just getting old(I’m 42), and this is fairly normal. I don’t know. But before pretty recently, I used to be able to wear whatever I wanted. And those smells I didn’t like, but they didn’t produce a strong physical reaction in me. I also feel very childish about this, the fact that I NEED these things. But I’ve tried just ignoring it many times and it is stubbornly persistent. I started taking 1/2 benedryl and a Claritin every day, and that has helped.
      Anyway, I saw the words “new clothing sensitivity”, and felt I should add my thoughts. I’ll also second the suggestion that you should ask his physician about this. Maybe a food allergy making his skin extra sensitive? Idk. If you figure it out, I’d love to hear any solutions you find.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.