Neurofeedback

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mpea.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      netta
      Participant

Hi all,

I am new to this amazing site. I am currently overwhelmed as I have hit another hurdle. I have a son who is 12 years old who has been diagnosed with ADHD, emotional regulation & depression. Currently, he is on Concerta & Lovan but unfortunately, the meds are not working as they use to and also puberty being a contributing factor doesn’t help. The Pediatrician is wanting to add the drug (intuniv) to the mix which I am nervous about introducing a third drug. Also, someone has suggested Neurofeedback sessions. Can anyone suggest a good reasonable priced clinic for the Neurofeedback? Hopefully, that is allowed (I am located in Sydney) And if so have you seen a difference in your child?
      Thank you

mitzimainer
      Participant

Hello,

I am guessing you are in Sydney Australia? There looks to be 2 different companies offering treatment.

I am in the States and have had Neurofeedback twice, once in 2012 for extreme hyperactivess/compulsivess and recently for extreme depression after going through menopause.

It is by far the best treatment as it helps to balance and retrain your brain to run optimally.

I have not had any hyperactivity/racingness for 7 years. The changes are lasting.

Unfortunately it is not cheap and in the States tough to get reimbursement. But with that said worth the investment.

Good Luck!

Mitzi

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Here’s some information about Neurofeedback:

What Is Neurofeedback? A Game-Changing ADHD Treatment

It would likely help to consult a psychiatrist for guidance on medication since your pediatrician is suggesting multiple meds. Psychs have much more experience with these types of medications.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…) — many of the names are likely different in Australia. Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It could be time to try the other type of stimulant.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mpea
      Participant

About two years ago we completed a neurofeedback treatment course (over 20 sessions) for our then 8 year old son’s ADHD with zero result, literally – ZERO. And yes, it was very expensive – $7,000 down the drain. (We live in New York, maybe elsewhere it’s cheaper)

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.