Neurofeedback for real?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Neurofeedback for real?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mitzimainer 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Getittogethergirl
    Participant

I just went to a therapy center open house where they explained how their Neurofeedback sessions worked. They put a couple brain wave sensors on you and headphones and play music while you watch something resembling a geometric screen saver that moves to the music, I believe, but I could be wrong. Then, when your brain is emitting “unusual” brainwaves, the music briefly pauses, sometimes so briefly the pause is undetectable to your ears but not to your subconscious mind. This “pause” triggers your brain to “fix” its brainwaves. You are supposed to attend a certain amount of sessions and then see marked improvement in ADHD symptoms. Initially I wrote it all off because it seems a bit ridiculous, but I am curious if it actually works. Anybody tried it?

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Many people with ADHD see positive improvements with neurofeedback. Of course, there’s no guarantee that you’ll be one of them (just like with anything).

What Is Neurofeedback? And Does It Actually Work for ADHD?

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Dr. Eric
    Participant

I have heard some student and parents swear by it, but I have never seen a teacher independently notice anything when a student has started or stopped the treatment when there were not told by the parent.

mitzimainer
    Participant

Yes! It absolutely works! I had NFB treatment 7 years ago for my severe hyperactivess/impulsivity and it brought balance to my brain eliminating any need for meds.

Fast forward to a year ago. I started having severe depression/insomnia and low grade anxiety. It has been the worst year of my life. I gained 20 pounds, didn’t work, didn’t do much of anything. I have been taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin with a tiny bit of relief.

I finally broke down and started Neurofeedback again. Turns out being post menopause threw my brain out of whack.

I actually had my second session yesterday and was reminded of how amazing this treatment truly is.

I felt so relaxed in the “zone” I call it. It is a sense of relaxtion that I have never been able to get from
    Anything else. I did not want the session to end. Can’t wait for my next one tomorrow.

I think this treatment is especially helpful for people who suffer from imblances. It makes me feel whole, calm, empowered.

Priceless

Mitzi

Ranma
    Participant

I’d like to try it, I looked it up to see if there are any within a reasonable distance from me, there is, but I’m puzzled because you would think they’d have a website with information, it makes me apprehensive, you can look both my regular doctors up and get their credentials.
    I can’t find anything but his name and office address for this supposed doctor.

mitzimainer
      Participant

I can understand your apprehension. I don’t know where you live but this site might be helpful eeginfo.com they have lots of information and if you put your zip code in they will show providers in your area.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.