Need to switch from Adderall

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Need to switch from Adderall

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

frinkwhaab
    Participant

Background: I have been having prostatitis symptoms for a while. My urologist has tried several drugs and it is clear that he doesn’t really know what is going on. He’s put me on increasingly strong antibiotics even though multiple bacteria cultures have come back with no indication of bacteria. The latest drug, ciprofloxacin, starting causing soreness in multiple parts of my body which thankfully I recognized from having read the black box warning. That could have caused ruptured tendons and permanent neurological damage.

But the whole time, I strongly suspect this is a side effect of Adderall. The symptoms flare up during the day about an hour after taking my first adderall dose, and subside a bit towards the evening as my second dose is wearing off. And one weekend I didn’t have adderall, the symptoms went away completely.

So I am meeting with my psychiatrist to ask to try another drug. Adderall has been nearly ideal other than the side effects. I’ve for the first time in my life been able to focus on work every day rather than in sporadic bursts that might happen only once every week or two. I’d like to find something that might come close to the same effectiveness, but without the side effect.

I’m not sure what to ask for. I’m thinking ritalin, since it is similar to Adderall, but maybe will still have the same side effects. I took wellbutrin for a month or so before Adderall (since the first doctor I saw refused to prescribe me a stimulant), and it actually did help, but I can’t really remember how it compared to Adderall. I might have also only been on an introductory dose, so it’s possible I switched to Adderall before finding the optimal Wellbutrin dose.

So I guess I’m curious for any thoughts, in particular if anyone has been forced to try something other than Adderall for side-effect reasons, and if you found an alternative drug that worked for you.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

If Adderall was working well for you, then you’ll probably want to stick with the amphetamine type stimulants. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

Here’s a chart of all ADHD medications:

The Most Popular ADHD Medications: Comparison Chart

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.