Need tips for adding behavior modifications to IEP/504

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning 504 Plans, IEPs & Accommodations Need tips for adding behavior modifications to IEP/504

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

jhasselt
    Participant

My 8yo son (ADHD/ODD) has an IEP for speech. I’m assuming it will be dropped halfway through the year next year, as he is doing well in Speech. I would like to add some behavior modifications to the IEP or be prepared to ask for a 504. I need to do research on what will work for my son, but I was hoping to get some tips on what others have added to their IEP/504s and how they went about doing it. I’m thinking of adding ways to “talk him off the ledge” so when he is stuck in a negative thought, etc (refusing to comply due to various reasons like being hungry, etc) here is what I would like to see happen. For example, if they notice he is getting “bucky” ask if he is hungry, provide a snack, ask if he needs a break, etc. I feel like without this, we continue this negative cycle where the school thinks he is purposely defiant and gives him consequences for things that I feel he is “stuck” on.

scott.luto
    Participant

This is a bit more complicated than just getting behavior modifications put into an IEP. If your son has an IEP for Speech, and only Speech, then he currently qualifies for Special Education in the eligibility category Speech Language Impairment. The first step you would need to do would be to request an evaluation to determine the extent of your son’s behavioral issues (I would mention in the letter that I want an FBA done as part of the assessment). You would have to provide the school with the documentation you have that diagnoses him with ADHD and ODD, and then you would have see if the school determines that these struggles meet the eligibility requirements for an IEP or 504 once they have concluded the evaluation process. If, for example, it is found that he qualifies under the eligibility Other Health Impairment (OHI) as the new IEP gets written, you can come in with the accommodation and modification suggestions that you want to go into the document. In the little information that you provided, I do think that your son should at least have a 504 which can also address these behavior concerns, but this is what the evaluation would determine: IEP, 504, or no disability/impairment.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Yes, it does get a little tricky if his IEP was qualified as speech disability, and then he meets that goal and doesn’t have a need for support in that area anymore. You will likely have to do a new evaluation to qualify him under a different category.

I like to see a Functional Behavior Analysis (FBA) done and a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) drafted from it to address negative behaviors at school. This assessment looks at the perceived benefits and/or triggers of each behavior, then crafts strategies to address each. This approach most effectively addresses unwanted behavior, because it identifies and addresses the root cause.

5 School Assessments Your Child May Be Entitled To

My son has the opportunity to take a break in his special ed teacher’s classroom or the guidance offer when he’s feeling overwhelmed, anxious, or emotional to the extent that he cannot function. Part of that goal and accommodation in his IEP is that staff doesn’t try to talk him through and rationalize, and doesn’t constantly push him to go back to class, because we found those things make it worse, not better. He very much gets stuck as well, as you described. This could be a part of a 504 Plan, if necessary.

Make a list of all the classroom/school struggles your son is having trouble with. Then add triggers to all that you can identify.That will give you a list of needs to then determine what accommodations would be appropriate. Here’s a great sample list of accommodations for ADHD you can use to match to your son’s specific, individual needs:

Your Free Guide to the 40 Best Accommodations for Children with ADHD or LD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.