Need help with Diagnosis

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ Need help with Diagnosis

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      MMsw98
      Participant

Thanks for reading! I am looking for help for my 20 year old son. He was diagnosed with ADHD the summer before he started freshman year of college, but had complained of symptoms since about age 10. His symptoms are “foggy” brain and poor focus and concentration. He said it is hard for him to describe. (He also seems to sleep a lot, but he is in college.) He has had an EEG to test for seizures, an MRI brain scan, and blood testing. He was diagnosted by a psychologist because of slow cognitive effect. All of tested areas in the psychological exam were normal. He has tried several amphetamine type medications, and also Straterra. He has also been given Wellbutrin. None of the medications seem to have any effect on him and the only time he has seen any reaction, really, is when he was given much much too high a dose of a first time trial of one of them (Vyvanse, I think?) because he had no effects from any of the others and they thought he needed a much higher dose. It made his heart race and gave him tons of energy for one day, but had no effect at all on the foggy brain symptom that plagues him most.

So, question for all of you. Does this sound like ADHD? Could it be something else? We are at a loss to find out how to help him. As a Junior now in college, he is really struggling and wondering how he is every going to be able to finish his program, or what kind of future employment he will be able to have. If this is is ADHD, does this mean there isn’t a medication that is going to make any improvement for his symptoms?

Thank you so much for your help. After years of questions, and trial and error, we are still trying to find some solutions for him.

P.S. Other than sleeping a lot, he doesn’t seem to have any symptoms of depression. He has a very calm demeanor and is level headed and makes good, well thought out decisions. Other than the frustrations from this condition, he never seems to be upset and has a “go with the flow” attitude and adjusts well to situations.He also is able to make and keep friends and has a close knit group of friends that he socializes with.

Kerplunk
      Participant

The only obvious symptoms mentioned were “poor focus and concentration.” AHDH is often comorbid with other ailments, and from what you write sounds like something else might be at play.

Only a qualified medic can diagnose and they’d need way more than the info you’ve dropped on here. I’d suggest going that rout – we’re not qualified or insured to diagnose. btw people with ADHD often have strong problems solving and higher IQ levels, so not sure what the “fogging” is. Once I got organised and learn’t to focus I excelled academically. I hope that helps.

MMsw98
      Participant

Thanks for responding, Kerplunk. I realize that I should have title title this differently. I guess I am seeking any kind of help and guidance. I don’t even know what I am asking for. I just feel so at a loss. This has been going on for so long now and it is really affecting my son’s self esteem. His old doctor tried him on Straterra, Adderal and Vyvanse, but he didn’t really feel any effects from it, and really didn’t feel anything at all except when he was put on much to high of a starter dose of Vyvanse. His new doctor specializes in ADHD and has started him on Concerta. He isn’t liking the way the Concerta makes him feel, and so far hasn’t noticed any difference in the mental fogginess and attention problems. Will that improve as he gets used to the meds and gets the right dose?

After 10 years of this and seeing him discouraged without seeing anything that is actually helping, I guess I am just hoping someone can share an experience that helps me to know we are on the right path and that there is hope…that he has a future and will be able to finish college and to have a career and keep a job. With nothing we have tried working, it seems natural to wonder if the diagnosis is correct or not, so any experiences people can share may help us to feel more confident and to know if there is hope that this will get better. I work hard to keep encouraging him, but this is wearing on me, also. It’s hard for a mama to stand by and watch this.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD medication is only effective for about 80% of individuals with ADHD. Your son could be in that 20%. OR, the ADHD diagnosis may be incorrect. If he is still concerned, you can encourage him to seek out a new evaluation and 2nd opinion.

Feeling foggy and tired all the time can also be anxiety, or any number of physical issues (like thyroid or adrenal). So a physical from his GP might be helpful as well.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

MMsw98
      Participant

Thanks, Penny. He has had a physical, also, and everything looked ok. Seemed like they rules everything els me they thought of it could be before diagnosing ADHD. Still just playing the waiting game to see if any meds are going to help. I so hope he isn’t in that 20%, unless there is something else that can help him cope with the symptoms. I don’t want him to have to take meds, but I don’t like to see him having so much difficulty, either.

MMsw98
      Participant

Thanks, Penny. He has had a physical, also, and everything looked ok. Seemed like they rules everything els me they thought of it could be before diagnosing ADHD. Still just playing the waiting game to see if any meds are going to help. I so hope he isn’t in that 20%, unless there is something else that can help him cope with the symptoms. I don’t want him to have to take meds, but I don’t like to see him having so much difficulty, either. This is the second doctor’s group he has seen, but the first that specializes in ADHD.

Gazettechan
      Participant

I agree with Penny. Try having a second opinion to be sure of your son’s situation.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.