Navigating Treatment Options for the First Time

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Navigating Treatment Options for the First Time

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Arimaspea
      Participant

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child but largely dismissed it until this year (I am 34) after a series of deeply disturbing and no less disruptive events. I began taking Adderall for the first time in April, and was initially amazed by how much more clear-headed I felt. Relationship issues began to lessen, work related problems were routinely manageable for the first time in my life, I was able to leave my house at a time of my choosing multiple days in a row for the first time in my adult life, etc.

At the start of November I began to notice diminishing returns: it started with little things that would lead to my partner asking if I had remembered to take my medication. By mid-November I was consistently arriving late to appointments again. Shortly after that I found myself caught in these endless cycles of item loss (e.g. I would get my bag to leave, only to realize I wasn’t wearing shoes, then I would I set my bag down and grab shoes but forget where I put my bag, only to realize in my search that I forgot socks, resulting in me misplacing my shoes in order to find socks, the spiral continues ad nauseum).

This week I forgot a pot on the stove resulting in a small fire, and found myself caught in another item-loss cycle which culminated in me being a full hour late to a meeting with my dissertation advisor while wearing my shirt inside out. Yesterday, much to the chagrin of my partner, I completely forgot to submit my application to a post-doctoral position I had been eyeing for two months. The standard relationship battle ensued and a very candid conversation about the efficacy of my medication followed.

I admit that I have an extremely limited understanding of the practical and long-term effects of Adderall. I contacted my psychiatrist’s office to setup an appointment, but in the interim I am curious as to whether or not this sort of massive decline is common with ADHD medication. Frankly, the prospect of this being untreatable is terrifying. Are these sorts of reversals more common with Adderall? Is this simply drug-resistance setting in? Are other medications equally as prone to tolerance development? To be brief: how the bloody hell do navigate treatment options?

• This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Arimaspea.
      • This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Penny Williams.
      Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Medication can seem to stop working. The following article has insights on why this may happen and what you can do about it:

The ADHD Medication Stopped Working! How to Troubleshoot Treatment

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.If you’ve never tried a methylphenidate, that could be the logical next step.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.