Natural alternative to Ritalin

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Natural alternative to Ritalin

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  idahogirl43 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

JennyAnne
    Participant

Hi everyone! I am a 52 year old female that has been struggling my entire life with ADHD. I have been on Ritalin for years & have constantly researched natural alternative which never seemed to work until I was told about “NOOTROPICS.” It is a supplement that has a “base” ingredient for Psychostimulatory effects/cognition; along with 13 other supplements. ( Such as L-TYROSINE, which is recommended for ADHD) I was VERY skeptical after years of trying to replace the Ritalin, but this is working! I take 1 tablet in the morning, and within 30 I’m focused, energetic and ready to start the day. It’s a “clean” feeling, without the jittery side effects of Ritalin. I take a brand called NOOCOR, which I found on Amazon. For those suffering, please Google & research this product. I am OFF the Ritalin and feel this is working 100 times better. Take care everyone, there is hope!

Dx 33
    Participant

How are you finding things now? Are you still feeling the benefits?

idahogirl43
    Participant

I am also interested in hearing from others about Deplin, or L-methylfolate. It compensates for a genetic mutation. My son was tested through Genesight, and his doctor felt he needed it. However, I feel it hasn’t had any effect, and am wondering if he needs a higher dosage. Some people apparently have great results with it, even being able to decrease use of ADHD medication.

dlcmacleod2
    Participant

My children’s (9 &12) doctor had also suggested Deplin and sent us home with samples. Has any one tried it yet? They take Focalin (severe ADHD symptoms) and Zoloft (high anxiety made worse by focalin). Im desperate to find natural alternatives that will lower their need for these meds and don’t cause issues with Tics. L-theanine worked a little but not great Thanks!

CyberCrone
    Participant

I ordered Noorcor based on JennyAnne’s post. I am skeptical that she gets good results with one tablet, and that it takes effect so fast. I take the recommended three tablets, and it is usually two hours before I notice any effect. But I do get some relief with this product, just not to the degree that JennyAnne does and certainly far from what Ritalin does. Not surprising, though, because we all have widely varying individual reactions to drugs and supplements. So I add that although Noorcor is not a 100% substitute for Ritalin, it does help with focus and concentration. I add caffeine for enhanced effect. I doubt if there is anything that is a full equivalent to Ritalin, which I can’t get anymore. Doctors have gotten goosey about prescribing it and my bank will not process charges to offshore sources. So we are treated like criminals because we suffer from ADD.

nanstein
      Participant

Can’t get Ritalin anymore?! That’s nuts! Do you live in the US? My MD gives me three scripts at a time. Perhaps you need a new Doctor?

CyberCrone
    Participant

My most likely source of prescription, a neurologist that I had been seeing for months, refused to prescribe it for me, and I have read stuff that says doctors are tightening up because of pressure from the feds. The trouble is, and the risk is, if you go to a new doctor to get Ritalin, as I would have to do, you are likely to be viewed as a ‘drug seeker’. I imagine you have long-standing relationship with your doctor?

I would love to be wrong about this.

quiquar
    Participant

Found the study!
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00382616

basically it’s two specific EPAs (fish oil omega 3s) 250 mg/d of eicosapentaenoic acid + docosahexaenoic acid . I’m not sure if he’s added PS or is using the oils as PS.. but

250 mg/d of eicosapentaenoic acid + docosahexaenoic acid provided as phosphatidylserine (300 mg/d PS-Omega3)

very interesting. I’m not sure it would be replacing ritalin but perhaps a synergistic effect with things like pine bark etc..?

quiquar
    Participant

I’m just newly diagnosed (although knew full well I was ADHD from my son’s diagnosis a year ago). and just today started 10mg of dexamphetamine – I’m not liking it. For someone like me that never drinks coffee or coca cola because of the jittery effect, dex is feeling pretty gross. I feel drugged and hyper and I don’t like it.

I was taking L-tyrosine from Thorne Research which helped me deal with the stress of complaining kids really well, but I still had brain fog and felt I’d never achieve my potential.

I don’t want to take dex again. So I’d be keen to try other things. Apparently in Israel they’ve found a treatment that is very new and natural – so new they’re not even saying what it is yet.
    https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-scientist-develops-natural-alternative-for-ritalin/

My son is doing well on short acting 10mg ritalin twice a day but is a struggle without it and can’t learn , and being ADHD myself, I can’t keep calm all that well with him! I would like an alternative for him too

idahogirl43
    Participant

Quiquar…the study you link to is 12 years old, from 2006. Not so new, and if it was helpful we would have heard about it by now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.