N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (NALT)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (NALT)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mia_green_eyes
      Participant

Hello, has anyone tried to treat ADHD symptoms with just N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (NALT) ?

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

It is recommended by Dr. Amen for some of his 7 types of ADHD:

The Amen Approach to ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

mia_green_eyes
      Participant

Wow Penney, I read that article by Dr. Amen … thank you !
      While I am getting off track on this thread as to N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (as opposed to regular L-Tyrosine or stimulant meds), his article talks about an “Over-Focused ADD” which sounds very similar to OCD. I developed “OCD symptoms” at age 38 which has always to be odd timing. Zoloft (an SSRI) worked for 8 years (though tended to make me a bit groggy and “very creative”) until I was in late peri-menopause and then my bigger issue became worsening “focus type issues”. Btw I have heard, re Zoloft, that while it is meant to increase serotonin (via inhibiting re-uptake), it inadvertently also does the same, to lesser degree, for dopamine. Now I am almost two years “after” menopause. I tried the Adderall XR three times last week. It did not make me more anxious … it made me more calm and “focused on the task at hand” and it emptied my brain of “the chatter”. Not a result one would expect from a stimulant med if my issue is “just OCD”.

emp233
      Participant

Hi! Maybe a bit 2 months late, but I did some research and apparently the NAT form of tyrosine may not be as useful, this article explained it quite well to me: https://www.prbreaker.com/blogs/news/tyrosine-vs-n-acetyl-tyrosine-are-companies-using-the-inferior-form Hope its helpful!

mia_green_eyes
      Participant

Thanks for replying emp233 !
      I read the article so will just try regular L-Tryrosine.

jwilli
      Participant

Hi I just noticed your post and thought I’d throw my two cents in if you’re interested…I’m an adult with ADHD and I’ve taken prescription stims on and off since 1992. I also, have investigated everything that might help outside of stims. Along with lifestyle changes I also discovered in my research that N-Acetyl L-tyrosine has been found to help with ADHD. Nalt acts as a precursor for important neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. I take it once a day and can’t say it has helped out that noticeably, but it also hasn’t hurt the cause either. So, I think it is helpful to a certain extent, but not even close to the help I’ve gained from prescription stimulants, such as Adderall and Vyvance. Jeff

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.