My struggle

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  adhdadult401 4 weeks ago.

• Author

adhdadult401
    Participant

I’m a 27 year old adult with. Completely disorganized. I was never on anything growing up I hopped on adderall to get me through college. Adderall doesn’t really help. It just kinda makes me crazy. I get all paranoid thinking people know I’m on drugs and I twitch and what not. I was only on like xr 15. when I’m on adderall I’m completely reliant on it to even function. My moods are all over the place I say weird stuff. Like I thought aliens were like after me at one point. Fun stuff. So after years I ended up hopping off it bc I was freakin out basically. I cut cold turkey and like almost died. I ran myself into a mental hospital it was so bad. I had like panic attacks crazy nightmares. Mental hospital said I had psychosis based off what I described but I don’t really know but it was pretty terrible. Now I get panic attacks, can’t sleep, and maybe some psychosis in there also. Now I have adhd plus some seriously loose bolts. My adhd is so bad I have trouble getting myself to help myself. Everything is just very overwhelming and I need to keep my stress levels down so I don’t get psychosis or panic attacks or whatever it is. Any suggestions let me know.

adhdadult401
    Participant

Also when I was little they put me on straterra and I had extreme depression after. When I was younger they said they had never seen a worse case of adhd and when I got older I got the same type of thing when I was retested.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It could very well be that you don’t tolerate the amphetamines. Talk to your doctor about it.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

adhdadult401
      Participant

There were multiple factors at play very stress related also. Not a single day off work in years no lunch breaks.etc It was an admin job for a relative. Thank you for the feedback. I am reluctant to try diff kinds bc of bad experiences however your prob right. I don’t have the right adhd doctor either. If I express a concern they cut me off and I end up losing my job bc it screws me all up.

adhdadult401
    Participant

I also worry about my health. I have a new job now and scrape by with doing my duties and being on time and managing my stuff. It’s extremely difficult and barely keep my head above water.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.