My mom is getting fed up

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done My mom is getting fed up

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      panchester07
      Participant

Im a 27 year old male, and my main problem is unmotivation, lazyness, organization, finishing tasks, focusing on tasks and chores and PROCRASTINATION. I mostly waste everyday of my life, and i understand my mom, my days are like social media, youtube, forums, read about cures for my different mental illneses (social anxiety, ocd, adhd). I do want to move to canada and find better treatment options, but i have a hard time focusing on doing my research. I’ve been wanting to try wellbutrin because it can get me going but i dont know if my doctor will agree to let me try it. so im a bit paralyzed instead of emailing her. for my add im only on modafinil. im seeing a psychologist and she’s good. but like i said im procrastinating and being lazy. Im also an addict and in stages of my life i tend to zoom in and only look for miracle cures in pills, right now my two obsessions are wellbutrin and CBD. I really want to get more stuff done and live a productive life, does anyone know of any help or suggestions . i know i need structure.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Yep. You definitely need structure. The problem is, when you have ADHD and you’re a procrastinator, it’s super hard to make yourself stick to a schedule and routine. And this has become your norm, making it even harder to change.

My suggestion would be to hire an ADHD Coach. They will keep you on task and accountable, and also teach you strategies that will work for you, as coaching is very individualized.

The ADHD Coach: A Personal Trainer For Your Brain

A therapist can help you work through your fixation on finding a “miracle cure” as well. I’m sure you know cognitively that there isn’t one, but anxiety can do crazy things to our thoughts and motivations.

Motivation for the ADHD brain comes from interest and urgency… not importance. That makes it a real challenge to get things done that aren’t of interest or feeling boring. You know they need to get done, but making it happen is a whole different story.

Let your mom know that you want to do better, but you need her help to create some structure and stick to it. Pick one goal to start with and focus on that.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.