My girlfriend is asthmatic and I have pets at home.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships My girlfriend is asthmatic and I have pets at home.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      petlover35
      Participant

I’m very fond of dogs and cats and I have a few of them at home. All my pets are allowed in all of the places inside the house. This was never a problem to me since I was living alone. Except for the occasional pooping and peeing here and there, everything was smooth. However, about 2 years ago, I met someone from a new year’s party dating service. She eventually became my gf and now we want to live together. The only problem is she’s asthmatic and it’s really bad. Animals trigger asthma attacks for her. Now I’m not sure what to do with my pets. I want to keep my pets since they have always been with me but I also really want to live with my gf so that we can take our relationship to the next level. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do? Should I keep my animals in just one place?

BeepBeepSaysTheJeep
      Participant

What I would do: my animals have been in my life prior to my husband. If he had told me that he couldn’t be around them, I would have told him to take a hike.

That being said, they do make allergy shots and those Hepa filters.

BelovedLeah
      Participant

This sounds like a situation where you both have some hard decisions to make.

She’s gonna have to decide how much compromising of her health she can tolerate in order to live with you. Sometimes asthma gets worse and worse, with more exposure to the allergen. Worsening can land people in the hospital. It could weaken her lungs to be with you and pets.

You will have to decide which you are most comfortable with: just her and possibly resenting that you couldn’t keep your pets, just your pets and always wondering if she was the one for you who got away, or knowing you’re asking her to sacrifice her health to live with you and pets.

Basically, it doesn’t sound to me like the two of you have lifestyles that are compatible. And she really should not compromise her health. Breathing is too important.

JBoom
      Participant

As an Asthmatic, I’ll say flat out you have to choose between them. Restricting rooms doesn’t help much, nor does anti-allergy medication (Asthma isn’t like the traditional allergic reaction, it’s much worse).

The sadness of my life has been realizing that people prefer their animals over other people. Or at least over me.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.