My boss thinks I'm organized!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD Success Stories My boss thinks I'm organized!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SueS 2 months ago.

• Author

toomanytabs
    Participant

Had an evaluation at work recently and the boss said I was organized! 😂😂😂
    A couple things came of this:
    1. I realized my boss doesn’t know me as well as I thought he did.
    2. It made me realize that, although my struggles and foibles are obvious to me, sometimes they might not be as visible to others. Maybe I’m not as transparent as I thought, or maybe I’m my own worst critic.

ADHDinPGH
    Participant

Me too! I know I’m more organized at work because I’m medicated….but also I HAVE to be more organized, or at least my space does, or I would never survive the myriad of other ADHD landmines that office life throws at me.

DROFAS
    Participant

As an old guy who has been recently diagnosed, I can tell you that we develop coping strategies over our lives. Despite the massive amount of thoughts and ideas swirling through our heads, we adopt systems to hold things together. We work better in fast-paced environments, as that helps keep our dopamine levels high.
    You may feel that you have things everywhere, but know what you need and where it is and appear to be organized.

FLgreenize
    Participant

Yes Drofas ! I self diagnosed recently and I’m 58 now. With the realization that I have been this way my whole life.. pretty proud and happy with all the coping strategies I developed without the knowledge that it was ADHD 🙂 I am fairly organized at work.. just don’t look in my home.. and especially not my closets… piles of everything .. lol !

jimmer
    Participant

I am 48 and I didn’t know what was “wrong “ with me for years until I read about half of the book,”Driven to Distraction”. That was my “Ah-Ha” moment, I had found my people. I work for one of the worlds largest companies and I have a few things that really work for me. First, I try to operate in the moment as much as possible. Second, if it’s not possible to do that, I keep a notebook and write down where I am on that project. Third, I leave myself a little note on my desk to remind me where I need to pick up in the morning, because if I don’t, I’ll spend half a day trying to remember what I need to do.

SueS
      Participant

Thank you, jimmer, for laying out your techniques so succinctly. #3 – I also leave myself a note on my desk when I leave for the day, to remind me where to pick up in the morning. I am also working on keeping my focus on the big things for the day. #1 – I try to stay in the moment and not borrow trouble from the future. It helps me not feel so overwhelmed. As for #2, I think that would help me – I probably keep notes in different ways about where I am on projects, but maybe a notebook would help me have that in one place.

To toomanytabs, I wouldn’t be surprised if you are your own worst critic. I think a lot of us are. It comes from growing up with expectations that didn’t match our abilities. My temptation with the feedback from your boss would be to take it as an indication that your efforts are paying off more than you realize. It could seem like your boss doesn’t know you, but it could also be that he is trying to praise you for something you value and are good at, or for something he values and appreciates about you. Try to take it at face value and not over-analyze.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.