my aging brain with adhd

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      mickmig78
      Participant

I’ve always had ADHD innatentive, and was very absentminded and forgetful. But now I’m 68 and it’s hard for me to talk, as I forget important words, and speak very slowly. My doctors are calling to my attention that I have memory issues. But they don’t believe I have ADHD. They seem to think I might have Alzheimers or dementia. They want me to go to the memory center, but I refuse, as my driving record for the last 6-7 years is almost perfect, and they seem to want to label me. They seem like they might not want me to volunteer anymore, and the last thing I want to do is go to a nursing home.

donsense
      Participant

At the same age i was also getting more absent minded and forgetful. I couldnt leave our apartment without going back three times for items i forgot. Leaving at the same time as my wife was particularly problematic as the distraction was overwhelming. About this time I was diagnosed with a major depression, third wife was leaving and packing up two or three boxes a week and leaving them in our dining room.
      Prescribed Ven La Faxine a slow but steady improvement in memory took place particularly working memory. A year later the ADHD diagnosis explained in detail what my real problems were….(my sister had found a box with all my old report cards in it and all those typical comments in them) My working memory continued to improve such that within 2 years I was able to memorize music from over 100 new choral pieces a year within a few practices in the 3 choirs I sing with. . Keys are seldom lost and I have survived and thrived after a move to a new apartment, concurrent to having a heart valve replaced. I still have a terrible memory for names and found Concerta made me too assertive/aggressive. I wanted it to reduce my running at the mouth at all the wrong times….

donsense
      Participant

PS music particulary performed with others is a gold mine of Increasing self production of Dopamine our neurotransmitter in low supply.

donsense
      Participant

PPS there are some weeks like this when i forget to take my meds or dont get enough sleep…for a few days

IThe story of my life and i didnt find out til i was 70 raging AdHD that is. I absolutely cannot talk at the checkout about anything and give the right answers to debit or credit card transactions. I now warn people behind me at costco that the register will break when i am in the line and to assume it will take 15 minutes for me to check out. Same at the grocer… i now never use the express line.. unfair to others i think. As to cooking this weeks todos were forgetting to,set the microwave timer for half the cooking time so I can flip the pork chop, burger, or fish fillet and cook both sides. Yesterday i shut my ipads down completely and missed my cardiologists appointment 2 hours late and the same for a mens group meeting later that day. By the way fish fillets charcoaled oneside raw on the other are edible. Pork chops not so much. Two consecutive days last week
      i have two ipads so that my timing alarms willactually go off and miss set them at least twice a week.
      Talking while driving totally wacks me. I have driven through an intersection i am supposed to turn at completely to the other side of the city 30miles away.
      You can imagine my relief when i found out this was ADHD not Alzheimers.and of course Sunday Monday were one continuous disaster. Went to church after breakfast just making it in time for Choir , stayed after for coffee and finished my 4th cup including breakfast, then decided i should order my Meds at the pharmacy on the way home. Couldnt actually buy them cuz i forgot my wallet. I also forgot to visit our newly renovated washrooms before leaving. Now i rush out of pharmacy to car in cold wintery weather and start for home on a cold car seat. You can guess the result which has never happenned before but i tried. Didnt even stop for car gas and air in that front tire Still the spare from a flat two weeks ago.
      Made it home and rushed in to change my trousers, The next day i lost my glasses and was desperately looking everywhere but had to wear an old pair which kept losing a lense. That evening on my way to singing at a senior Rez my tire went flat on my way to pick up gas and the lense dropped out of my spare pair. Of course i was 30minutes late for a 45 minute concert. Drove home later and looked all over the floor of the car. Unfortunately i left the interior lights on, the temp went down to Zero and next day my 5 year old battery would not start the car for an already late Drs appointment. You know the rest. And its only Wednesday. Thank god i had nothing planned for today …I think.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.