My ADHD is consuming me

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults My ADHD is consuming me

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  KeepingUp 3 months ago.

• Author

MRosem
    Participant

Hi All!

Recently, my ADHD has been consuming me.
    As soon as I have a free moment (or sometimes when I don’t have time to spare), I start thinking about my ADHD and it’s all-consuming.
    It’s like I’m hyper focusing on the fact that I have ADHD. It’s not always bad thoughts and it’s something that’s only started recently.

I still want it to stop or figure out some way to be able to quickly snap myself out of it.

Any advice?

KeepingUp
    Participant

Hi. I recently started listening to the Take Control ADHD podcast and it’s the first advice I’ve I’ve found that is practical for me. There weree some other podcasts that were really valuable to calm me down. I hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  KeepingUp. Reason: Spelling

NEED FOcuS pLz
      Participant

Cool, do you mind sharing what the podcasts were? I’m interested in listening to them.

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) can help you “retrain” your thinking.

Listen to “How Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Unlocks Positivity and Productivity for Adults with ADHD” with J. Russell Ramsay, Ph.D.

It strikes me that you probably harbor negative feelings toward your ADHD. You may get some peace with acceptance:

“Once I Accepted My ADHD, Life Began to Change”

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Trainer on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

NEED FOcuS pLz
    Participant

Talk therapy is only moderately effective for ADHD. If you yourself are proactive with diet, meds (if you like them/have access to them), exercise when able, and avoid excessive alcohol, limit caffeine you should be doing decently. Notice I said decently and not great because even with the best coping mechanisms ADHD is ADHD and there’s always some level of it going on all the time if you really have it. If you grow out of some of the symptoms (or theoretically possible; all of them) then I envy you 🙂

KeepingUp
    Participant

The podcasts I’ve been listening to is called Taking Control The ADHD podcast. There’s a number of really good discussions with useable information. Good luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.