Music

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Aleksandar_Atan
      Participant

I’m really interested if any of you saw the way ADD effected your music taste.

I’m a musician, and I play bass, guitar, sing and I know drums and keys but more in a way of composing than playing.

I noticed I like short songs or long songs with one riff that plays throughout. I like punk, alternative rock, noise rock, experimental music and I think that punk really resonates with me because of the energy and the shortness of the songs.

I had no problem learning complicated rhythms and I love experimenting but I was unable and uninterested in learning complex song structures. For example I dislike metal because to me it’s boring. I zone out and can’t listen to it.

As a singer I was rarely able to learn even my own lyrics and I mumble throughout because of it. Having somewhat freestyle approach to songwriting and really more of an introspective approach.

What do you listen? How does your ADD effect your musicianship?

Martina
      Participant

Hi, I have ADHD and I am 45.
      When I was 5, I started to signg in one fames children chorus, all adults thought I was really talented. But I hated to stay still and sing sad songs that was our choirmaster wanted us. My mother have told me, I said I will jump from the window, if I must go there. So ended up my career of musician. I wasn’t able to learn by myself. I could not read properly until I was 12 and it was still too hard for me. I can not remember text of songs, I can not learn songs as quickly as my friends, because I need to learn the music first and than I can slowly add text, I can not reed it from sheets together like them.

Aleksandar_Atan
        Participant

Hi! I get that somewhat. I had a different problem when I was a kid. I mumble a lot so I was asked to be mute when I was part of the choir (It was a class chorus so I couldn’t abstain and we were on some competition). When I was in music class in elementary school I had a D (2 in our grading system) when we were learning scales and rhythm. For some reason I was awful at it at the time. My mother even tried enrolling me in a music school but I rejected it completely. Few years later I picked up a bass guitar all by myself and I started playing punk. Every instrument I learned by ear and I never had a class. I just can’t follow that kind of method. Overtime I learned scales, rhythms, bass later guitar which I play really weird. I play lefthanded but on a right handed guitar. I simply pick up things really weird. Later on I even learned the drums and keys to some extent. I still mumble and I can’t really remember lyrics that well. I play songs that I made mostly so that helps.

I think the whole system is usually bad when it comes to teaching kids. A lot of people I know were forced into it and now hate playing. They finish the music school and later resent it.

Learning text is not easy and pushing someone to do it can be counterproductive. If someone has a great voice or a talent these kind of stuff can push person away because they don’t seem to handle the task.

Where are you from? Your name makes me think you might be from Croatia.

Martina
        Participant

Hi, sorry for the late reply 🙂 If you want know, from Moravia 🙂

Martina
      Participant

One more thing, English is not my native language, so sorry for mistakes, I hope you can understand what I wanted to say. Thanks

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

My son (16, ADHD+) is really into creating his own digital music. Much of it has heavy bass and beats and is pretty fast tempo. It actually calms him — creating it and listening to it. Some consider that the ADHD brain needs rhythm to focus, so this makes sense.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Aleksandar_Atan
        Participant

It makes a lot of sense. Especially electronic music because it has a tendecy to be repetative.

I listen to the music when I study, work and it’s mostly instrumental, ambiental music because otherwise I focus too much on the music rather than work.

Creating music can really make a person develop a focus, even more so if it’s a form of expression.

I think learning that learning the songs just so you know them can be really counterproductive. More so because you don’t understand the logic behind it. I became better at all of this once I found the way to understand the reasoning behind all of that and music teachers tend to overlook that aspect and can’t really explain it to students.

teressapalms34
      Participant

Here are lines of the singers having an ADD.

“It’s something I’ve dealt with my whole life.”
      – Paris Hilton

“I have OCD mixed with ADD. You try living with that.”
      – Justin Timberlake

“Those traits work well for me in studios and in meetings about creative ideas. If I was stuck at a different job I’d be horrible and wouldn’t survive. Music is my therapy. Music keeps me sane and keeps my mind on something. It’s fragile up there.”
      – will.i.am

I’ve my treatment in the “The ADHD Centre” clinic. I have an ADHD since I was a kid and diagnosed when I was 7yrs. old. ADHD is not a hindrance of loving music, I can also play acoustic guitar.

I play cello and have ADHD! I’ve been in the orchestra at my school since 6th grade and I’m now a senior. I have trouble practicing consistently, but when I do, I could play for hours. I really enjoy the challenge of figuring out songs by ear. I know I get frustrated easily if the price has a complicated key signature. I tend to forget what key I’m in and extensions aren’t fun when you have tiny hands, lol. I know I’ve gone through a lot of medication changes and when I switched from my long-faithful concerta my mom noticed a drop in skill, though I’m unsure if it was sloppy playing or having trouble with practicing. I also tend to turn to music, both listening and playing, for emotional support.

As far as the music I listen to, I have a lot of trouble listening to songs if it can’t draw my attention quickly. I like slow songs but If the music is too drawn out without much interesting stuff in between I can’t listen to it. I also tend to hyperfixate on certain songs, albums genres, etc. For example, I’ll listen to a song on repeat for days, memorize it, sing it all the time, learn to play it on my cello, etc. until I get bored of it or find a new song. I also really like fast songs or songs with lots of interesting harmonies bc they draw my attention. I’m a big fan of listening to fingerstyle guitar covers of songs I like. They’re calming and strip the songs to the bare bones, but are complex enough to hold attention and soothing enough to use as background music.

acare84
      Participant

Everything except country music. Not that a hate it, just dont listen to it. I play 6 instruments, and I dont like playing country music in any of them haha

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by acare84.
Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.