Mothers with ADHD

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Gazettechan
      Participant

I want to equip myself with more knowledge to get a hold on what I have struggled with all my life and potentially help others in the process. I am open for any support and suggestions.

laurelfay
      Participant

I am right there with you. I see that you posted that last night at 11:30pm, which is probably when I was laying awake thinking the same exact thing! I need a connection that’s not rigid and demanding but can still be a mutual source of support and encouragement.

Cecily
      Participant

Hi, I feel the same. I think I have used anxiety to keep my head above water my whole life and now I have a child it feels dangerous to be on hyperdrive all the time. I feel like I am stuck on an endless treadmill of doing the things I am worst at (cleaning, organising etc) (badly) with no time for the stuff I am great at. I have no idea how to make it better. Anyone got any ideas? Does medication help?

Hi, I’m a single mom of a -just turned- 13 yr old daughter. I was an adult when diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD -specifically last year!!! Medication most definitely helps!!!! But, that is only half the battle, I have to put in the work to change my habits and help the medication help me -if that makes sense lol. As does having some sort of routine -at least in my case- in the mornings I allow myself time to have a wandering mind usually this is roughly 45 mins. Then I make my bed “while still in it” meaning I put my pillows up -forcing me to get out of bed- then I fix my flat sheet and comforter. I make a beeline to the lavatory, get dressed, take my meds, and officially start my day.

I’ve also realized if I REALLY clean on the weekends and pick up during the week it is less daunting. I know for me when my living situation is messy I feel it emotionally (took A WHILE to figure that out). Sometimes, if I feel overwhelmed I try and spread out the stuff I don’t want/like/good at doing and mix in between the stuff I am good at/want/like. Example: I HATE with a passion folding clothes -usually I have an Everest size pile of clothes washed waiting to be folded. I’ll take what I can in my arms sit on my couch and fold while watching something and continue until ALL the clothes are done (insert eye roll lol).

When I feel beyond overwhelmed I -audibly- ask myself can I do anything about it within the next 24 hours, or logic my way out of it. I’ve realized a lot of what makes me feel anxious is my mind running crazy. And I use technology to help me organize myself, Google Keep is AMAZING and I’ve learned to utilize my phone assistant and or smart speaker for little things that most people don’t need it for. And break up a large task into manageable smaller tasks.

Most of all, I try to remember the pressures I feel are from what the neurotypical society has deemed “typical” and I don’t work that way, so I find ways/hacks that work for me and forgive myself for not being “perfect”.

I know this was long but I hope it helps!!!

phantasm
      Participant

I know you can do it, just be religious with your medication and staying positive always helps you recover 🙂

Gazettechan
      Participant

Thanks for sharing yoru support, how are you now coping with the situation?

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.