More than RSD?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Penny Williams 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

A lot of people talk about the volatile emotions and rejection sensitive dysphoria of ADHD, but am I the only one who has noticed outrageously high empathy? Is that a me thing or an ADHD thing?

Whatever people are feeling, I feel it too, especially if I care a lot about them but it can happen with strangers as well. I hate watching people get embarrassed, I feel so incredibly uncomfortable. I can’t stand to watch shows or movies where people are hiding big secrets because I get so anxious. (I couldn’t bear to sit through School of Rock) If people around me are upset or angry I can feel it in the air and I can barely stand to be around them. When people are sad I want to cry. I’m squeamish and I hate seeing people get hurt. I freak out when babies cry. when people fight I try and get as far away as possible. It just all hurts so much to see people unhappy.

But on the flip side, I have so much energy when the people around me are happy. I have this tendency to start laughing when I’m really happy or even if I see a cute picture. My mom thinks it’s weird but I just get this bubbly feeling and I want to start giggling because I’m so happy. Concerts are amazing because of all the energy, I just want to stand up and jump and sing and it’s amazing. And when people laugh I want to join in even if I didn’t hear the joke. I get excited so easily and I just want to wiggle all over. I swear to god I’m like a dog, if you just talk to me in a happy voice I get all excited. I love it so much when the people around me are happy.

Botany88
    Participant

Hi Jade,

I also feel like I’m highly empathic and can relate to your experience. I’ve just been diagnosed with ADHD and I get some RSD type emotions too. I really don’t think everyone who has ADHD is like this, because I’ve met quite a few but I’m guessing there are a few of us empaths that also have ADHD.

I’d suggest that the intensity linked to ADHD emotions play a part in this phenomenon but that ADHD it’s self is separate from the basic amount of empathy people have. So, if one is already highly emphathic – then ADHD might magnify it. If you’re not overly emphathic (and/or there is a lack of interest in other people’s feelings) then it’s at a normal or below normal level.

Hope this makes some sense courtesy of my weird & wonderful brain.
    Surround yourself with good people and live a wonderful life.
    🙂

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

Many people call that being an empath.

I’m an Emotional Wreck and I Love It

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.