More denial and erasure of non-hypers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

2weelz
    Participant

News flash: all the qualities extolled as “ADHD business advantages” in this presentation apply only to the hyperactive/impulsive portion of the ADHD community. Too bad for the rest of us.

I am so tired of this. It’s bad enough that the culture at large tries to deny that we ADHDers exist. This presentation is just another example of the ADHD press assuming EVERYBODY with ADHD is hyperactive and impulsive, and denying the very existence of the rest of us. The resulting message, though perhaps unintentinal, is clear: you have all the disadvantages, but none of the advantages, of ADHD, if you lack the ‘H’ part of it. Unintentional, because they simply assume WE DON’T EXIST.

So, I am issuing this challenge to ADDitude: find us some experts to explain how the primarily inattentive version of ADHD gives us advantages in any sphere, especially in employment. Resist the bias towards covering our attention-hogging hyperactive friends. Yes, we are easy to ignore, sitting quietly daydreaming in the back of the classroom, avoiding people because social anxiety, shunning the limelight for fear of overstimulation. But we are here. Give us some attention, too.

wannflood
    Participant

I also would like to hear and learn more about concentration deficit disorder.

tammy.clayton1
    Participant

I agree. It would be nice to have more information regarding the ADHD-inattentive type. My 17 year old son has inattentive ADHD.
    Yes, society either doesn’t acknowledge the existence of this type because they tend to “fly under the radar” or the belief is that they are just lazy. In fact, they are are not. More info appreciated!

2weelz
      Participant

Tammy.clayton1, it sounds like you understand your son better than I was ever understood as a child. You know he’s working much harder than everyone else. Good that he has you in his corner. I hope he finds something he’s interested in and good at, and that you can help him to persist at it. It is easy to get sidetracķed, even from what you love.

Ellings4
    Participant

Often, to soften the blow during discussions of all the cons, articles will remind us that we make up for it with “boundless energy”.
    I’d describe myself more as “boundlessly exhausted”… darn

2weelz
      Participant

“Boundless energy”, “Ferrari brain”,”supersonic brain”, etc. I just got a newsletter that said, “Your ADHD keeps your engine revving faster than most people”. I do not know what these people are talking about. When they talk about advantages, they never mention anything that applies to me. Does anybody in this thread have an example of how ADHD-PI gives us an advantage over normies? For me, as a professional driver, I’m the one guy that the supervisors aren’t trying to slow down. They like my slow-and-cautious driving style, and the fact that I actually DO the things on my pre-trip checklist, rather than just check them off. I have an obsessive streak, and that shows here. My anxiety makes me hyper-cautious on the road. In some ways I am the opposite of the hyper/impulsive folks. Since I got my license in 1977, I have gotten only one ticket.

jonthegm
    Participant

As a late-diagnosed inattentive, I relate to the anxiety thing.

I thought I had serious anxiety problems and depression, but the stims seem to let me slow my brain waaaaay down to a manageable speed.

Without the meds, my brain is set on overwatch. Scanning my surroundings and running simulations on potential social interactions.

As a benefit, I notice and retain big-picture items VERY well. I also notice lots of strange detail, but can’t really control when that recall may come back.

Once I am given something I’m interested in, you sometimes may not see me for a while as I engage hyperfocus and shut the world out.

If I’m not interested… boy howdy… you are not going to get me to retain anything unless I can find a way to engage. Asking me to write or take notes at the same time is a good way for me to end up with lots of doodles.

So… I’m rambling… A few more quick positives (some fairly specific to software development) I can think of:

* I am the guy you go to if you want someone to help you with the big picture of a (metaphorical) 5000 piece puzzle.
    * I am the guy you go to if you need someone to find the elegant solution (and you don’t need to talk to me for a while)
    * If you want a thousand different perspectives on something (and I’m interested in it), I will happily ping-pong off of them with you.
    * I learn quickly and crave novelty. If you need someone on the bleeding edge, I will skate across it happily.

The thing I am learning is that “neurotypicals” tend to:
    * Take notes and listen at the same time, but are able to recall less.
    * Work at consistent rates, but tend to be lower average quality.
    * Learn new things (especially complex systems) much more slowly.
    * Tolerate having poor external goals set.

2weelz
    Participant

I sure wish there was an edit function. I would like to seriously rewrite this whiney rant. Something like:
    “Title: Does primarilly inattentive ADHDhave advantages,too?

Whoa, all the advantages the webinar cited revolve around hyperactivity and impulsivity. This seems always to be the case when I hear or read something on this topic. Here’s hoping ADDitude will publish something about how ADHDers without these symtoms/qualities can also turn our contition to our advantage.”

ADHDmomma
      Keymaster

There is an edit function. There’s a text link in the right side of the grey bar just above your post. 😉

BTW, I passed your post/request on to the magazine editors.

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.