Mom Brag – ADHDer self advocating

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Mom Brag – ADHDer self advocating

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Pump2Duncan
      Participant

So I just had to brag because I am really proud of my little ADHDer. He started 6th grade a couple of days ago. We made the decision early on to let him know about his ADHD but also not let it be an excuse. So this morning I asked my kiddo if he was using his strategies. His strategies are things he does during class in order to stay on task as much as possible. One of those that is particularly helpful is journaling during times when he knows its inappropriate to blurt out but so much is going through his mind (it is also part of his IEP). If you read his journal, you can tell just how fast his mind is working – hopping from one subject to another. His teachers that have read his journal have told me that it gives them a better understanding of how an ADHD mind can work.

So anyway, my kiddo tells me he’s trying to use his strategies but when he brought out his notebook to journal his math teacher told him to put it away. Math is a subject he is highly gifted in, so he regularly journals during math class – but excels at the subject matter. Here’s what made me proud – he did not react in an emotional way, he did not get frustrated, he did not cry (ALL things he used to do when a situation did not work out how he thought it should). He calmly told the teacher, “I have ADHD and my journal is a tool so that I don’t blurt out and interrupt your class. I still hear you, I am still learning.”

His explanation still did not work. But again, my son just put his journal away. I am sure that this new teacher just didn’t know of my son’s accommodation and I spoke with the school this morning and they quickly corrected the issue. But OMGosh – SO STINKIN’ PROUD!!!!! He not only self-advocated but he controlled his emotional response, even when it didn’t go his way. Just WOW!!!!!

BRLK
      Participant

Great job kiddo! Awesome sign of maturity. My son starts 6th grade in a couple weeks which is middle school here so it’s going to be a very new set of challenges but I hope mine starts to show a similar ability to adapt. Great tool too – I’ll have to talk to my son and see if he thinks that’s would help him too. He has a highly creative mind, has to hold it in all day, then starts running non-stop at the mouth with all the stories that have been rattling around in his brain all day the minute I pick him up. Normally he gravitates to silent reading when his brain and class topic are not tracking but maybe getting the stories out of his head as they pop up would help refocus him through the day 😀 Thanks for sharing.

Pump2Duncan
        Participant

I hear ya about the new set of challenges of 6th grade. He’s still in the same school, but the Dean of Students changed and there’s an entire set of new teachers. And this school places kids in classrooms based on their academics. Last year my kiddo was in a slower paced classroom. He excelled during testing and now the school is placing him in the more advanced classroom. I’m nervous about him adjusting to not only more academic pressure but also more pressure to be at the same maturity level as his peers. We’ll see how it goes. We have a plan in place to regularly check to see if he needs to move during the first semester.

The journal has been wonderful. We stock up on those 1 subject notebooks now so we have plenty throughout the school year. My son will go from telling stories, to having conversations with his notebook, to writing about how the rain pounding on the roof of the school building is very distracting. All the things that he’d normally comment on in class – go in the journal. And he still somehow manages to fully listen to the class discussion/lecture.

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

Fantastic!

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

gentlygenli
      Participant

That’s amazing!

Drop kick that teacher if it’s in his documentation. Do it politely the first time, and if she pulls shenanigans again, nail her to the wall. She’s either screwing up or deliberately messing with disabled kids. You’ll know soon enough, but if you’re brittle-smile-but-firm the first time, the second is sometimes unnecessary, and there should never be a third.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by gentlygenli.
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.