Middle Age, Disability, No Job – What Now?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Middle Age, Disability, No Job – What Now?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LoriR 5 months ago.

• Author

BrendaB
    Participant

Hi All,
    I posted last year about being unemployed. Since then I took a class through a free program, got a certification in a software, but still am unable to find work in the field I have very little experience in. I do have a small amount $ coming in from temp work I have on the weekends, it is manual labor, 12 hr days and exhausting! I have no benefits. But I am grateful I can pay rent (room in someones house). I realize why I cant find a job is because this disability has caused me to lose and have several jobs, I have little experienced in this new field, and also am middle aged. I thought getting an internship or junior position would be the answer, but many of those positions hire students or new graduates. I am open to getting a job doing something else, I have always fell back on working retail, but it is exhausting and not sufficient pay. This late in life, with EFD & ADD and a learning disability, I do not know how to go about finding that job. Many positions want PROGRESSIVE experience in the area. With my resume and a (useless) masters degree, I do not know how to apply to a position I know I can do, but my work experience does not show it. Suggestions have been made to place abilities on my resume that are transferable as opposed to chronological. Done that- put up a red flag to recruiters and does not bode well when submitting applications online. I also need to make enough $ – at least over $60 to start to pay off school loans. Any Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. Can’t continue on this track. Not having sufficient income, my own place, and working weekends has left me isolated and depressed (I am being treated- which helps) but still want to get my life in order. And enjoy it.

Penny Williams
    Keymaster

There are some useful suggestions in this article:

You’re 7 Steps Away From a Successful Job Search

When I graduated from college, I took temp jobs and one led to a permanent placement. Maybe you can seek temp jobs in your new career field until you build up some experience or get hired permanently by one of those companies.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

LoriR
    Participant

Self-employment might be the answer. I had difficulty finding or holding any kind of job, even though educated, many talents, high IQ, etc. Often I quit after a few months out of boredom or frustration. Terrible resume, still doing fast food and other joe jobs in my 40s. I tried starting small businesses a few times, but resigned myself to not being able to hack that either.

Then at age 50 I found myself in a situation (isolated location, no car) where I really couldn’t get a job of any kind. I did have access to a computer, so I decided to become a freelance copy editor, even though I had no training or experience.

I stumbled around and made lots of mistakes at first (not so much with the editing, but with the business aspects), but I didn’t give up. After a couple of years of part time I became full time. I never made a lot of money because I’m a slow worker, but I was able to support myself doing this until age 65.

I tried all different things with timers and so on until I figured out a process that worked for me.

In retrospect I think it might have been easier to make money selling something at the local market. Or maybe you have some other skill you can sell, or a passion you could develop into an income source.

In my opinion, you’re better off trying something that doesn’t require any certification, as you don’t want yet another expensive and useless piece of paper. And you’ll be happier finding your own path rather than trying to conform to what some governing body thinks you should follow.

I believe I have some degree of ADD, although I was never diagnosed. Good luck!

(I apologize for any errors. It’s hard for me to type on a cell phone.)

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  LoriR.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.