Methylphenidate

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      mhspg
      Participant

Hi all,

I was first formally diagnosed in September 19 aged 36. At the time I couldn’t get medication as the assessor was not qualified to dispense, only assess.

Anyway, with lots of effort from both myself and my GP, my NHS approved to fund a new assessment and treatment privately. So I had an assessment with a psychiatrist which confirmed diagnosis of Combined type (severe) and I started yesterday on 18mg of methylphenidate. I’ll do this for one week before increasing dose to 36mg for the second week. In the third week I’ll increase to 54mg.

At the moment, I don’t feel any different which of course may well be too early to say. But I just wondered what other people take, what works for them and if they’ve found any side effects. How long did it take people to find the medication to “fit”.

Have you found improvement? I don’t want to take something long term without getting any benefit from it so want to make sure what I’m taking will be right for me…

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

ADHD medication is to be started at the lowest dose and only increased IF and WHEN needed. A schedule of increases as your doctor has prescribed is not following best practices.

ADHD stimulant medication works differently for every individual because its effectiveness is dependent on metabolism, genetics, and neurochemistry. What works beautifully for someone else may not work for you at all or vice versa.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Many doctors will trial both early on to see which is the right fit.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.