Methylphenidate not working

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Methylphenidate not working

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Karthik
      Participant

i am from india recently found i have adhd, in the first month’s methylphenidate hcl sr 10 mgwhich was working good. then doctor increased dose to 20 mg from 10 mg. now not working.. always sleeping and fatigue not feeling energetic what shall i do shall i switch to amphetamine or should i increase ritalin dose

got2be
      Participant

It sounds like the 20 mg dose is too high for you and makes you sleep. Rather than increasing your dosage, you should try asking your doctor to decrease it back to 10 mg again, since that worked well for you. Not all people with ADHD need to be on a higher dose. Since methylphenidate has been helping you at 10 mg, you may not need to try a different stimulant. Try to get back in to see your doctor soon and tell her/him the same things you wrote here. Since you are taking Methyphenidate SR (sustained release,) you shouldn’t try cutting the pill or capsule in half since you’ll get too much medication all at once.

caringmom
      Participant

hi KARTIK,
      You havent mentioned your age and plz mention the reason why the doctor increased your dose…in any case METHYLPHENIDATE 10 sr is available in INDIA so there may not be problem of cutting

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. It may be that you need to try the amphetamine type, as it could be better for you.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Trainer & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

afi
      Participant

Hello, from where did you get this medicine ? From India or Switzerland/Germany? And is it original or Generic !
      Thanks

Ravenstar
      Participant

I take 10mg, have for years. Don’t need a higher dose. Try the 10mg again.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.